Looking ahead for a new printer for the future

ROX

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hey All!

Ive been printing on 2 canon ip4500s for a few years now and dont want to wait when the time comes and they die one me. I havent looked at any new printers but wondering if there have been any new ones that match the ip4500 performance.

Ive been scanning my local CL adds for used 4500s and they are becoming a rare item.

What are your thoughts?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
ROX said:
Hey All!

Ive been printing on 2 canon ip4500s for a few years now and dont want to wait when the time comes and they die one me. I havent looked at any new printers but wondering if there have been any new ones that match the ip4500 performance.

Ive been scanning my local CL adds for used 4500s and they are becoming a rare item.

What are your thoughts?
The iP4500 was indeed the last great workhorse out of the Canon factory and everything afterwards were then
made much more cheaply and were switched to using the smaller cartridges as well.

There is nothing available now that comes near the 4500 so try and keep it going for as long as you can.:love

A new print head for the 4500 will cost as much as the newer printers will,
so youll have to bear that in mind and ask yourself do I jump ship or stay with my trusty old 4500.:idunno

The new Canon printers will work faster and will have slightly better output than your old 4500
but they wont be as reliable or last as long as the 4500 thats all..

ROX

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks Hat! Ive been looking through ebay and there are a few people selling new heads for around 100USD. I might have to bite the bullet and buy a pair when mine dies.

What new inkjet do you like that can be refilled?

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
ROX,... The HAT is correct about the new printers. The key thing is that the new ink carts are much more of a pain to refill,..they hold less ink,..and they cost more. In addition the new printers seems to use up much more ink in the cleaning process. All of this puts $$$ out of your pocket and into some other pocket. As far as printheads,... just call Canon Parts department and order one from them. Their price is better than any other place you can find it as they are the only source for those heads,..and Canon will give you a waranted with the head if any problems come up. Their number is 1-866-481-2569. They will only do Credit Card orders since you have no account with them and they only ship inside the USA.

If you really take care of you printer and the ink there is no reason it will not last forever. It would not hurt if one day you finally took the printer apart and did total maintenance on it and cleaned everything. The death of these printer is primarily caused by "Dried up ink" in the wrong place. When is the last time you cleaned the printhead (outside of the printer). When is the last time you cleaned the purge unit or the ink parking pads or the wiper blades, or the timing strip, etc. etc. etc.

If you want to know more about all of this,..just send me an email and ask.

ROX

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks Trigger for the information on the heads from Canon. Saving that for future fix!

I'm going to do a little investigation on some printers and probably hit you up to see how you like them. Is there one that you can say is comparable to the 4500? I see you have some experience with a few Pixma.

Honestly Ive never had a problem with the heads on the two 4500's I'm using. Maybe because I print so often. Once in a while a color maybe not show up but a quick clean on the printer takes care of it. I do notice that my older one seems to be showing its age when it prints. Cant explain it in words but I can see it in the prints.