Long Term Storage of Inkjet Printers

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I really don't think there is any reason to remove the pads to clean them, just put Windex on them before you do a cleaning cycle. They are not going to stay clean anyway because as soon as you do a cleaning cycle, they are going to get saturated with ink. The pads are not what need to be cleaned anyway, it's the tubing connected to the underside of the pads that are a part of the peristaltic pumps. Sometimes the tubing gets clogged with dried ink which prevents a cleaning/purge cycle from working. Repeatedly putting Windex on the pads and doing a cleaning cycle will eventually clean out the tubes. It's also a good idea to periodically do this every month or two just to prevent clogs in the tubing.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
ghwellsjr said:
I really don't think there is any reason to remove the pads to clean them, just put Windex on them before you do a cleaning cycle. They are not going to stay clean anyway because as soon as you do a cleaning cycle, they are going to get saturated with ink. The pads are not what need to be cleaned anyway, it's the tubing connected to the underside of the pads that are a part of the peristaltic pumps. Sometimes the tubing gets clogged with dried ink which prevents a cleaning/purge cycle from working. Repeatedly putting Windex on the pads and doing a cleaning cycle will eventually clean out the tubes. It's also a good idea to periodically do this every month or two just to prevent clogs in the tubing.
I don't remember writing that. I certainly don't agree with it now. The best thing to do when you have a problem with your purge unit is NOT to put Windex on the pad because that will dissolve dried ink residue and flush it down the tubing which may result in a pemanent clog of the purge unit. Instead, do as embguy suggested, remove the pad from the rubber tray it sits in and clean it under running water. Then put it back in its holder and continue to soak it in Windex and do cleaning cycles. Also, try not to allow Windex to splash around, it will eventually come out the bottom of your printer.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
AFAIK some printer rubber rollers can get hard over time and once you unpack your printer it will have problems feeding the paper.

wahyu0984

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
use plastic or tape to cover your Catridge and head Catridge, which important is dont let the air get into the plastic, these methods can survive at last 1-2 months during the plastic does not take in air so your ink will not dry even if not used within a long time, the point is do not let your ink dry on the Catridge

if your catridge's broken may be i can help you to find a new one
just find it here www.cartridgebuys.com

hope its usefull:D

TxGemTree

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Ah, pffft! No wonder my HP stopped working. Gah! I can see that the ink dried up in it. I may try to fix it but already have a new one. The scanner broke so what point is it to try to fix. None in my book. So far, I have learned TONS from this forum. Yall rock! Thanks bunches!:D

Lucas28

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pigment
When I store used but not empty cartridges I put them in a jar. It seems to be the best way to prevent them from drying out.

Just my 5 ents.