Length Of Time To Flush Cartridges

robotclaws

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro 100
Yesterday I refilled my Pro100 cartridges for the first time with PrecisionColors ink. I believe that some ink got into the little maze passageway while refilling. I am going to flush the cartridges per the stickied instructions; however, I only have one set of cartridges. If I flush the cartridges and leave them out of the printer until they are cleaned, dried, and refilled, will this cause any problems? Is it reasonable to think that this process could be done in a few hours, or is it necessary to leave them overnight? Thanks for your help!

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
To get the ink out of the maze simply blow some air into the inlet but keep the cartridge over the sink as ink will drip out. If there is no need to flush, don't as yet. It is not advisable to remove the cartridges from the printhead for an extended period as this will potentially cause clogging. If you remove the cartridge, keep the printhead hydrated by soaking in a shallow bath of windex. Not water while the Canon ink is in there.
I will post some special instructions about flushing the Pro-100 cartridge especially the yellow one. in the meantime normal flush instructions with just water is not sufficient as I've uncovered especially if you are unable to completely get the sponge back to white. It is better to transfer the chip to a used CLI-8 cartridge which has been cleaned. The combination of water and the original Canon ink and then refill ink can cause problems if there are still remnants of Canon ink and water inside the sponge.

robotclaws

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro 100
Thank you very much for the quick reply. I should add that the reason I think that there is ink in the maze is that after refilling with PC ink, my printer colors were a bit off. I decided that if I could get most of the original canon ink out of the cartridge, I could start using the Precision Colors profiles. I decided, foolishly, to try to get the ink to drain out of the top fill point (I refilled using the Top Fill method) by holding it upside down and shaking it a bit. After refilling, it seems the colors are even further off, with some striations in the Nozzle Check results for Yellow, which I didn't mess with further. So, after a couple of dumb moves, what is my best option now? I'd like to get to the point of having just the PC inks in the cartridges.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Methodical

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
USA
I'm pretty new to this, but from my readings and questions, you'd want to purchase 8 CLI-8 carts and transfer the chip over to them. It's easy to remove and transfer the chips. Below is a link to the video. Ideally, you'd want at least 2 sets of ink, so that when you perform maintenance on one set, you will always have a set in the printer and to minimize the printer's ink purging stage and filling the waste pad (the experts here can provide way more detail than I can, but that's what I've gleaned so far in my short time here). I finally got my 2nd set. I found someone selling off their bundled printer they got with a camera purchase for about the price of a set of Canon OEM ink cartridges. Also if you have not already done so, please check out the thread regarding the yellow ink, especially since you stated that you are having issues with it. (see below)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhVwVY0fWlw

http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/important-canon-pro-100-cli-42-yellow-ink.8498/