It Was Only A Printers Tale

RedBlueGreen

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Forgive me The Hat, I've ducked behind the sofa ready for a blasting following your Pro-1 experience...but...

How much and how long would a Canon service centre charge and take to fix this for you? I wonder if it's better to get a repair with a warranty rather than fixing it yourself by process of elimination. I suppose Canon would charge mega bucks?

(Ducks back down behind the sofa)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
RedBlueGreen said:
Forgive me The Hat, I've ducked behind the sofa ready for a blasting following your Pro-1 experience...but...

How much and how long would a Canon service centre charge and take to fix this for you? I wonder if it's better to get a repair with a warranty rather than fixing it yourself by process of elimination. I suppose Canon would charge mega bucks?

(Ducks back down behind the sofa)
Ammo clip loaded again.. :woot

Right if my past experiences with Canon Service are anything to go by, then an arm and a leg I imagine is what they would be looking for
and Im thinking that a new printer might be a more cost affective solution over all,
these repairs just might be a bridge to far, I might get a quote.

They will do a good job but take their time at it, anything up to a month minimum time scale,
like having to order in a logic board and print head because they wont have any in stock,
then the courier cost back and forth plus labour costs. (Ouch)

I can get all of these with a new machine plus a whole set of cartridges with a years guarantee for about the same
and it wont take a whole month either, so its leaning towards a new printer at the moment, the jury is out..

RedBlueGreen

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Wow, up to a month! that's way too long...I mean it's not like spectacularly complex technology is it. I suspect they'd just change various boards/modules and hey presto it'd be up and running in no time. On Canon's website they list the Pro 100, 10, and 1 as professional printers (the 9500 would be in the same category for sure?)...who ever heard of a one month turnaround in a professional environment - it's crazy.

I agree, a new replacement sounds the best idea with warranty and full ink set included...but then I guess that's what Canon want...rather than to repair stuff they'd be happier for the customers to buy new. Don't get me started on 'Inbuilt Obsolescence' :p:)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Silly question Brian, but have you called CRC-Tasktron and asked to speak to one of their technical folk?.. Usually they're pretty friendly and if you explained what you've been able to do, check, etc... they could at least narrow down your possible options some...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
websnail said:
Silly question Brian, but have you called CRC-Tasktron and asked to speak to one of their technical folk?.. Usually they're pretty friendly and if you explained what you've been able to do, check, etc... they could at least narrow down your possible options some...
Hi Martin
Somehow I dont think they would even bother to help with any suggestions
seen as they wont deliver the print head to me anyway.

All the experts are telling me to get a logic board and print head or a print head only if I am feeling lucky,
my pocket says, print head but my brain says, get both to be sure, and my heart is saying bugger that,
get a new machine altogether and cut out all that wasted time guessing. :he

One way or the other I will need a new waste kit from you before I can start to print again,
so something good will come out of all of this.:ya

A brand new 9500 I reckon:love :hugs

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The Hat said:
websnail said:
Somehow I dont think they would even bother to help with any suggestions seen as they wont deliver the print head to me anyway.
They might not be setup to do that (or allowed) but they may well help you with some information either way, worst they can say is "No".

All the experts are telling me to get a logic board and print head or a print head only if I am feeling lucky, my pocket says, print head but my brain says, get both to be sure, and my heart is saying bugger that, get a new machine altogether and cut out all that wasted time guessing. :he
Yeah... The propensity for Canon circuitry to do the suicide pact thing is a little bit of a reality check isn't it... Were it me I think I'd be tempted to go the same route as you're thinking..

One way or the other I will need a new waste kit from you before I can start to print again, so something good will come out of all of this.:ya
Well, I shall not complain, obviously in deference to your tragic printer loss.. ;)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Just an up-date on my 9500, I have decided to go for a replacement part rather than a new machine.

It a cheaper option I know but because I am not doing a great deal of work at the moment
so I cant justify a new printer right now, pity dough Id love another one.:love

Websnail is sourcing a print head for me in the UK and hopefully it will work first time
and not get the hell blown out of it by a (Possible) damaged logic board, only time will tell..:fl

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The Hat said:
Websnail is sourcing a print head for me in the UK and hopefully it will work first time
and not get the hell blown out of it by a (Possible) damaged logic board, only time will tell..:fl
.. and of course I have not forgotten to order it or let it slip me mind until now at all... *cough* :cool:

*whistles and sidles nonchalantly towards the CRC-tasktron site* :rolleyes:

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I think these "printer" things, are really best for putting on a shelf and looking at!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Emulator said:
I think these "printer" things, are really best for putting on a shelf and looking at!
Huh. ? ?
Can you explain that a bit more.. :idunno