Is there a way to print just one color?

Bird333

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have a Canon i4000 printer. I am wondering if there is some way to print just one color when trying to test out a nozzle or any test modes for troubleshooting?

Thanks!

WhiteDog

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Essentially the answer is no. I say "essentially" because you can view the physical output of one nozzle by replacing all other tanks with empties filled with Windex. If you print a single-color-panel, say 255-0-0 for red, you will find that various nozzles are used, though your machine might have a "red" cartridge. The Canon "red" ink is actually "red-orange" in color studies. So you "see" 255-0-0 on screen but you get on paper 255-20-30 or some other combination. The same is true with all the tanks. Software can be set to a pure color but the printer arrives at a result from a different direction. Then there is the issue of the color number of cyan. Blot some cyan ink onto some pure white paper, then match the RGB number onscreen for a bit of fun. There is a lot of yellow in it. So except for nozzle activity there is not much you can do along this line, but it is interesting.

printerenquirer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
dont know what print preferences come with canoni4000 but check the printer properties at advanced settings there may be a way of maximising and reducing the inks i know i have that option on the epsons but ive never bothered with it. if i were to use it theres a chance it only reduces and maximises and doesnt completely shut it off. i dont think printers are designed to do that but who am i to say, me know nothin. apart from canons have expensive ink and epsons have cheap ink, and canons are better prnters and epsons are well uhum.

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Hi Bird333,
There is some software that might do what you want. Go to http://www.inksupply.com/purging.cfm . There look for download of purge.zip. It opens with PKZip which is listed there. purge.zip contains some test patterns that print large stripes of solid colors. They show them on the page which I am sending you to.

I hope this may help.