Is Refilling Cheaper than Using OEM INKS?

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
A slightly different topic to do with printing multiple pages on the MP620. I needed to print out a camera manual all 274 pages of it.

For economy I decided to put 4 images per A4 sheet and print double sided which I set in the output. However after a few sheets I discovered that numbers did not tally and duplicates images were being printed. Further investigation showed that the manual had a covering page plus a setup page overleaf these plus other summary pages are not numbered .

I tried running small batches varying the multiples of 4 (per side) I have got my manual but it has a lot of duplicate images and part printed pages.

What determines the print sequence ? The printer/PDF file/adobeAcrobat. If I were a commercial firm and somebody say ordered 50 of these I would be tearing my hair out (what hair).

The printing itself with a border was fine. the printed number on the page was correct it was all the duplications plus I wasted about 12 sheets of paper. Obviously the unnumbered or plain pages has thrown the system out some way, but how do you allow for it ?

Any ideas anybody

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
barfl2
Printing multiple pages per sheet plus two sides takes a bit of working out,
but when you print it in PDF format then Acrobat preset the pages
and numbers for you but not necessarily in the order you want them to be.

If you send me your PDF Ill sort it out for you and then when you get it back you can print it our properly yourself.. :)

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
The Hat said:
barfl2
Printing multiple pages per sheet plus two sides takes a bit of working out,
but when you print it in PDF format then Acrobat preset the pages
and numbers for you but not necessarily in the order you want them to be.

If you send me your PDF Ill sort it out for you and then when you get it back you can print it our properly yourself.. :)
Thats very nice of you but I have all the information just not all in the right order, it was just a bit annoying that I could not get it to print out correctly. I just wanted to know how to avoid this in the future.

I do not do these long runs very often. Anyway you have confirmed my suspicion that it was Acrobat controlling the print job.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Its not easy to explain how to do it because every print job tends to be different
but youd have to layout each of your images (Pages) in a certain sequence to suit the Acrobat system
but again not necessary sequential there is a pattern to it and it works Simples.

If you ever want one done again you know where I am ok.. :)

itsmeagain

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printing with the Brother MFC-J625DW, using Kirkland Professional Glossy Paper....cannot find an ICC profile....(but as of Today) Costco has discontinued selling it...they changed suppliers from USA and Sweden to Mexico...Prints came out with a greenish tint.....I would still be interested in an ICC profile if there is one.

I worked for years at a company that refills cartridges...refills if done properly usually save 40-to 50 percent of the cost of a new refill.
Ink for Inkjet printers is normally water and alcohol based...the consistency of the ink has to be proper for your cartridge or you will run into problems.If you only print occasionally your ink will dry up clogging the print head..recommend you print a test page at least once a week if you don't print often.
Remember unless you cartridges are separate for each colour, the colour cartridge is holding ink in 3 small chambers...not much Ink..and prone to dry up quickly when not in use.....I recommend a printer that hold either a high volume ink cartridge or Separate cartridges for all colours and Black.....P.S...I have seen may large looking cartridges that hold only 3 ml of Ink...not much to print with.....Happy Printing...

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
itsmeagain said:
I worked for years at a company that refills cartridges...refills if done properly usually save 40-to 50 percent of the cost of a new refill.
Using well-know, reliable inks (Hobbicolors), I estimate the refill cost of my BCI-6 carts at about $0.45 each, which is less than 5% of the OEM cost. Refilling RULES!

Wayne

earthworm

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The ink absorber...what is this ?
I am planning on buying a 9000 and I wish to take better care of it than the old ones (Canon 4700), dead, only 5 years old...
TIA

inkoholic

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
earthworm said:
take better care of it than the old ones (Canon 4700), dead, only 5 years old...
TIA
What do you mean "dead"? Completely killed in action or only a busted printhead? I have a Canon MP610, 4 years old, and I'm hoping it will last a bit longer than 5 years. Replacing a fried printhead shouldn't be too much of a problem.

inkoholic

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
earthworm said:
Some kind of secret sponge hidden deep within the printer. The printer will clean the head regularly by sucking ink through the nozzles. The ink is then deposited in the absorber. The absorber will eventually get saturated and the printer will likely present you with an error message, e.g. "service required". Most people will toss away the entire printer but it is possible to clean or swap the sponge. You can reset the ink counter in the hidden service menu of the printer. Dismantling the printer is usually the very tough part :/ Pray you can find a service manual online, and even then it may still be difficult. That's my guess about my Pixma MP610's ink absorber at least.