Is My 9500 Nozzle Test Normal?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The procedure for printing the extended nozzle check from service mode is found in the service manual for the printer. I just checked the link in the service manuals thread, and it sadly no longer works, so I have printed and scanned the relevant pages from the manual.

Canon's explanation for entering the service mode is not quite clear, so I have made a small correction to make it more clear:

1) With the printer power turned off, while pressing the Resume/Cancel button, press and hold the Power button. (DO NOT release
the buttons. The Power LED lights in blue to indicate that a function is selectable.)
2) While holding the Power button, release the Resume/Cancel button. (DO NOT release the Power button.)
3) While holding the Power button, press and release the Resume/Cancel button 2 times, and then release the power button. (Each time the Resume/Cancel button is pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light alternately, Alarm in orange and Power
in blue, starting with Alarm LED.)
4) When the Power LED lights in blue*1, press the Resume/Cancel button the specified number of time(s) according to the function
listed in the table below. (Each time the Resume/Cancel button is pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light alternately, Alarm in
orange and Power in blue, starting with Alarm LED.)

Here are the relevant pages from the service manual, click to enlarge:

ScanImage001a.jpg ScanImage001b.jpg ScanImage001c.jpg

The only operations from the service manual you should do is the service test print and the EEPROM information print. All other operations should be avoided.

To execute service mode operations the printer must first enter service mode by the procedure above.

Service print is selected by pressing the Resume/Cancel button once and then press the power button to execute the command. EEPROM info is selected by pressing the Resume/Cancel button twice and executed by pressing the power button.

After finishing the service mode operations, leave service mode by switching the printer off using the power button.

Be careful with the service mode operations, there is no undo function, so beware of unwanted resets and region changes etc.

The advantage of the service test print is that a grid pattern is printed for each colour, so you can determine if all nozzles are firing.

Be aware that an error made in service mode can render your printer inoperable, so use the info with care and at your own risk!

Edit: see this post for a new link to the service manual: http://www.printerknowledge.com/thr...post-them-here-sticky.5071/page-12#post-65511

Last edited:

Twald

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon 9500
Thank you, all, for your help. I have ordered a new print head.