iP4700 pigment vs black dye ink

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I hadn't realized until now that you were using Canon OEM cartridges (even though I asked and you answered). They also have the highlighter smearing problem on plain paper that is similar to bulk ink on ColorLok paper. Sorry to have not made that connection before now. Here is a repeat link to my posting about the highligher problem. If you prefer to stick with Canon OEM cartridges, you can use a PGI-5Bk in place of a BCI-3eBk but it won't snap into place in the print head--you'll have to secure it with tape--but you could at least experiment to see if that solves the problem and then decide whether you want to refill with a bulk ink. I am starting to use Inktec PGI-220 ink, now that it is available in the USA in 1 liter bottles for the price of two Canon OEM cartridges. Don't use any of Inktec's other pigment black inks.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
ghwellsjr you can use a PGI-5Bk in place of a BCI-3eBk but it won't snap into place in the print head--you'll have to secure it with tape.
George I think you got that the wrong way around, his machine takes the PGI-520
small cartridge its the ip4500 that uses the PGI-5BK (Standard size).

Stumped2 can still refill his black cartridge with the ink you have recommended
but will need a resetter to be completely safe..

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You're right, Hat, I did get it the wrong way so the Canon ink in an OEM cartridge for the iP4700 should already have fixed the problem that was in the BCI-3eBK with regard to highlight smearing on plain paper. But maybe Canon's inks have this other problem that Stumped has and maybe it will be solved by refilling with a bulk ink.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for pointing this out, Hat.

Stumped2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The iP4700 uses PGI-220BK for the black pigment and CLI-221 carts for the color & photo black inks.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Stumped2
Sorry about that I forgot to mention them too, as on this side of the pond
the 220s are called the 520s its the same cartridge just different regions.. :)

nche11

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
The whole issue is because of the paper used. I have seen plenty of different paper that some dry faster but some slower. The difference in drying speed does reflect some different characters of the paper. For paper that dries faster usually the black will not be as dark as on another paper that dries slower. I have also found that the paper that dries slower the black text is usually sharper and crispier too. The only problem is it takes longer to dry and if you print large bold text you risk getting ink over the back of the sheet stacking on it.

Paper made with coating (whatever it is called) for inkjet dye based ink printing (usually color printing) needs to adsorb ink rapidly. This is counter productive for black pigment ink for printing text. Black pigment ink for text is better to print on plain paper. If the ink on the paper dries slowly you get better text but you may need to slow down printing. HP printers used to have a mechanism that the newly finished page will not be stacked on top of the previous page too soon before the page was given longer time to dry. On Canon printers you can slow down printing. But it may be too slow to your taste.

Stumped2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The paper is stacked coming out of the iP4700. However I separate & spread out the sheets on the floor to dry for about an hour, sometimes longer.

The ink transfer I get is from folding the letter into thirds in order to fit an envelope. If the bottom third is folded in first then it gets some transfer from the middle third, which includes part of a black outlined rectangle. This is a front-to-front transfer. I have no way of knowing it is happening until I get back the letter.

In one of the links I previously posted the author weighted down some paper & did not get ink transfer, however "rolling a plastic wheel on the folded pages did". He thought "The post office's rollers are probably the problem".

I'll have to find a suitable roller & try this myself. I think I'll send myself a letter, that way I can see what happens with a one way trip through the postal system.