IP4600 refill..reservoir doesn't fill

stoppage

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello I've been refilling my cartridges (Canon IP600...CLI521 etc)..with the Durchstrich method for a while now. On all carts., as soon as the reservoir begins to fill, ink comes out of the port and it won't take any more ink. Is this normal?

IanYY

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The air breather hole/channel is probably blocked by dried ink. As you inject fresh ink there is nowhere for the displaced air to go except through the outlet hole, where it combines with ink in the sponge to create overflowing bubbles.

Flushing the cartridge should clear the blockage ...
1. Suck ink out of the filling chamber with a syringe.
2. Then inject clean water using a syringe and the normal durchstrich technique over and over again until all traces of ink have disappeared, alternately placing your finger over the outlet hole so sometimes waste ink is ejected from the outlet hole and sometimes from the breather channel.
3. Then suck water out of the filling chamber with the syringe.
4. Then blow through the breather channel to blow water out of the sponge.
5. Then apply a paper kitchen towel to the outlet hole to soak up any remaining water.

As you have had this occurring on several carts, it is most likely you are overfilling the carts and getting ink into the breather channel where it can set and block the channel.

Try not filling the carts so much (leave an air bubble in the filling chamber) and, when finished filling, blow through the breather channel to eject at least one drop of ink from the outlet hole and ensure the air channel is clear.

Flushing this way is a lot messier than normal filling, so take obvious extra precautions!

Ian

{Editted - Added flushing instruction (1) }

stoppage

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Sounds good, just waiting for one of the ink levels to go down & I'll try it, but the time is definitely coming around to consider compatible carts. Thanks for the help

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
stoppage No this not normal. However I had the same problem with a 521 Magenta cart. Ink came back through the needle hole and also dripped out of the outlet hole. This is the first time it has happened to me. I had a spare cart and without altered anything filled it without a problem. I usually leave a little space at the top of the cart. I use squeezy bottles and I notice sometimes some carts need more pressure and ink goes in slowly, other carts fill quickly. I still think the German method a good one and have the original Pharmicist post as my homepage when visiting this site. The photos are so clear and should help new/experienced refillers alike.

I think IanYY has correctly identified the problem and provided both of use with the solution for which many thanks