Ip4500 Stopped Printing Pgbk Ink

Igor Gefter

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma ip4500
Print Test Page is what I am referring to. It prints the pattern and it is unsaturated. I just checked that the top of the cartridges are completely clear of tape, and the air channels are completely unobstructed.

Igor Gefter

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma ip4500
Here is a scan of the unsaturated print test I am referring to. The second image I am uploading is the print test with my old defective print head. You can see how much more the colors are saturated with the old head, even though it had burned nozzles.

Attachments

• Unsaturated print test002.jpg
    Unsaturated print test002.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 395
  • IP4500 nozzle check002.jpg
    IP4500 nozzle check002.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 425

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The PGBK nozzle print is missing several hashes in the grid. A new print head should not do this. Did you purchase a Refurbished print head?

Try a cleaning via the software and reprint a nozzle check.

There appears to be a difference between the two nozzle checks based on the images presented and your comments. I am unsure why the vertical bars alongside the C and M letters are of two different colors/intensities. Could your issue be a problem with the new print head? I did not think that bi-directional printing was a part of the nozzle checks in so far as these black bars. Maybe one of the other members can clear this mystery up.

You may be contacting the seller soon if this does not clear up fast.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
Did you notice that all the dye letters (C,M,Y,Bk) are printed using only magenta? It doesn't look like a printhead fault, maybe the logic board?

Try this:
- open the printer as if you would change a cartridge. After the carriage stops at the middle unplug the printer from the outlet
- remove the cartridges and the printhead
- take a soft, clean cloth(like the one used to clean eyeglasses), put some isopropyl alcohol on it and clean the contacts on the printhead and carriage. Check if the contacts on the carriage are in good shape.
- let everything dry for a minute, then put the printhead in, the cartridges, close the lid and reconnect the printer to the outlet.

Did the nozzle check change?

Last edited:

Igor Gefter

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma ip4500
cleaned the contacts on both the head and the carriage.
Run a nozzle check. Did not change anything at all.
And yes, this is a refurbished printhead.

Any other solutions?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The problems with the nozzle check from the "new" print head looks more like ink flow problems than clogged nozzles. This could be caused by the the ink cartridges or the fine ink channels in the upper part of the print head being partially clogged. If you have another set of ink cartridges for the printer, I suggest trying the the other set for a new nozzle check.

The "CCCMMMYBK" lettering on the nozzle check should be a neutral grey, they are printed using a mixture of cyan. magenta, and yellow. The magenta appearance of the lettering indicates ink flow problems with cyan and yellow.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Did you notice that all the dye letters (C,M,Y,Bk) are printed using only magenta? It doesn't look like a printhead fault, maybe the logic board?
Missed that! Good pick up, Tudor.

His previous nozzle check from the old print head did not have a problem with uniform black letters or vertical bars. If this was a logic board failure then it was something that happened in between that previous nozzle check and the new one.

Is there anything you recall happening that might explain this discrepancy, Igor? Did you put the old print in while wet?

It could be a spontaneous logic board failure. It could be print head failure. It is a refurbished product.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The problems with the nozzle check from the "new" print head looks more like ink flow problems than clogged nozzles. This could be caused by the the ink cartridges or the fine ink channels in the upper part of the print head being partially clogged. If you have another set of ink cartridges for the printer, I suggest trying the the other set for a new nozzle check.

The "CCCMMMYBK" lettering on the nozzle check should be a neutral grey, they are printed using a mixture of cyan. magenta, and yellow. The magenta appearance of the lettering indicates ink flow problems with cyan and yellow.
The low color saturation was why I already suggested trying a new OEM for a problematic color. Flushing and refilling the current cartridges would be another choice. Given your analysis I would recommend either Cyan or Yellow. I would choose Cyan as any changes would be globally more noticeable on a subsequent nozzle check..

Igor Gefter

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma ip4500
I do have a brand new generic cyan cartridge on hand. I will give it a try and report back to you. Thanks so much for all the help guys.

Igor Gefter

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma ip4500
Just changed out the Magenta to a brand new generic cartridge. Did the nozzle check. Made absolutely NO difference.
I do have an OEM, but it needs to be refiled first. New generic one should have made the difference right?
Since it didn't, what does this tell us?