ip4500 magenta streaks problem

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
To lose one print head is unfortunate but to lose three, well I don’t think there are any words to describe or made up for this situation yet.

The two most common factors here are the printer and you, so what exactly are you doing wrong to have so much bad luck with one of the last best known Canon printers around.

What type of cartridges are you using , are they new OEM cartridges, aftermarket cartridges, 3rd party refillable cartridges or OEM cartridges that you refill yourself. (Give details)

The answer to your problems has to be down to the cartridges you are using because print heads normally just don’t fail out of the blue without just cause, well not three in a row anyway.

Ink starvation is usually the biggest contributor to premature death in nearly all print heads, so continuing to print while there is inadequate ink flow inside the print head will cause it to fail quite rapidly depending on the demands you put on it.

The information you are giving us is a bit confusing so we don’t know how many printers you have and therefore can’t give you a very good answer to your problem.

Can you start again but this time give details of your current printers history and try to explain only this latest printers problems from the very beginning please..

Igor Gefter

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma ip4500
First of all, the reason information I am giving seems confusing to sone people, is because people keep referring to my old post.

This POST HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE OLD POST!

This new printer is brand new that was sealed. The prnt head is a brand new Canon printhead that was vacuum sealed and was inside the printer box.
The entire equipment is brand new and hasbeen in use for about three weeks.

I am using OEM cartridges with Precision color ink that is refilled from the top. I use cheap resetter. All cartridges were full and reset when I started off three weeks ago.
Even though the large text black cartridge is low on ink in its chamber, I have not gotten a software warning yet, as thereseems to still be plenty of ink in the sponge side.
All the other cartridges still have plenty of ink in them.

In the st three weeks iI have printed maybe 15 photos and not more then 100 pages of text and graphics.

And now the print head is fried. Very frustrating.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
So... this is a NEW printer and print head... NOT a REFURBISHED printer and print head. Only ONE print head has been used with the printer. The cartridges are used OEM top filled. You have the printer connected to a USB hub -- have you tried what I suggested about connecting directly to the computer yet? I doubt it will make any difference, though.

It is possible, and appears to be so, that the printer's logic assay board and/or print head can be defective. What happened during storage for over the years may play a role or the printer and print head may just be a lemon from the start and would have malfunctioned early on years ago if used back then. Either way, there is no warranty available and there are risks - financial - in seeing about getting this magnificent printer model working properly.

At this point, I would try a new OEM Magenta cartridge. I do not expect it will work but it does remove one potential issue immediately from consideration.

Next, if the new cartridge does not make a difference, I would treat the print head as having a clog -- you have nothing to lose at this point. At this time, there are a number of ways to flush a clog from a print head. One method that seems easy and intuitive is @The Hat use of dish detergent. He uses "Fairy washing up liquid", though I would use something like Dawn in the USA. Other brands are mentioned in the following link along with instructions: http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/a-little-fairy-story-or-is-it.8579/. Be patient as unclogging a clogged print head can take quite a while and numerous soakings/flushings. Above all else, only perform nozzle checks to test the print head and do this only after the print head is thoroughly dry!

If flushing the print head does not work then obtaining a new print head would be a consideration. Here is where risk is involved. We cannot be sure that the print head alone is the problem. It could be the logic assay board is also damaged, and if so, then any print head you try may become damaged as well. At this time, I would try a new print head if nothing else works, but that is my choice and may not be yours.

Try the suggestions I've made and see if they resolve your issues before buying a new print head. Please report back with your experiences.

Last edited:

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
OK, different printer. I still stand by my comment of trying a different cartridge (as stratman also suggests) to see if it's an ink flow issue on the magenta cart.

Igor Gefter

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma ip4500
I have tried a different OEM cartridge and get the same result.
I have tried plugging it directly into the computer, bypassing the USB hub, same results.
I bought DAWN detergent and am going to soak the bottom of the printhead in it.
Do I really need to do it a for entire week?
Or couple of days is enough?

Igor Gefter

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma ip4500
One more question. While the printhead is soaking for a while, how do I keep my ink cartridges from drying out?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I bought DAWN detergent and am going to soak the bottom of the printhead in it.
Do I really need to do it a for entire week?
Or couple of days is enough?
Don't know. As long as you can be patient or it works. @The Hat is the resident expert on this specific soak.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
One more question. While the printhead is soaking for a while, how do I keep my ink cartridges from drying out?
If you have the orange clips that came with the cartridge then use a rubber band to secure them to seal off the ink exit port. Plastic wrap, like you would use in the kitchen, plus rubber band(s) may be substituted. You could also try HVAC aluminum tape as well. You only need to seal off the ink exit port.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Given the periodicity of the defect revealed in the service test print, I doubt that cleaning or cart changes will make any difference. It appears to be a classic electronic issue, either with the head, the mother board, or some connector.

The most obvious line of action to resolve it...renew the print head. And yes, print heads DO fail out of the blue for no apparent (to us) reason.

Large Scale Integration is used to manufacture thermal print head nozzle plates. There are thousands and thousands of electronic components stuffed into that plate. When just one fails.....

Saphire

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9950
Where are you buy that printer, because it is not new model printer. ?
What I want to say maybe that printer is from bad series which are have error (on logic board, head...) and taken off from a market, or it is some kind off prototype.
Everybody here says that that printer is "best", and everybody want to have that printer new (me first), and you can buy it new at this year 2014.
I don`t suggest to buy new head, maybe is logic board is damaged, printer can damaged new head. If you buy new head for me that is gambling. Read serial number of printer and ask Canon is that printer maybe from bad series.