ink held in the reservoir compartment vs the sponge compartment ?

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
anyone have a feel for percentages or mls breakdown of ink held in the reservoir compartment vs the sponge compartment ?

was curious re my 5 year old ink carts:

PGI5-BK - total capacity(approx) 25mls
CLI8s - total capacity(approx) 15 mls

just refilled them with my squeeze bottles, nearing 500 refills

squeeze bottles make refilling so much easier - see 3 yr old thread w video
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4450

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870, MP980
Method: German Durchstich Method
Ink: Hobbicolors and OCP
Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
decided to run some tests myself on my PGI5 and CLI8 ink carts. i topped them both off, then used a syringe to suck out the ink in the reservoir compartment so to measure the mls. see below for results:

PGI5-BK - total capacity(approx) 25 mls, approx 13 mls held in reservoir compartment - 50%
CLI8s - total capacity(approx) 15 mls, approx 8 mls held in reservoir compartment - 50%

looks like approximately 50/50 split between the reservoir compartment vs the sponge compartment

J

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
For the CLI-x21 and CLI-x26 the nominal capacity is 9 ml. I have measured the volume of the ink chamber to 3 ml IIRC. This means Ink reservoir 33% and sponge 67%.

It is some time since I did the measurement, but I can repeat it next week, when I'm back from holiday.

Maybe The Hat could measure some of the new PGI-x50/CLI-x51? I guess the percentage of ink in the reservoir is very low for the starter versions of the new cartridges.

Edit: I looks like the nominal capacity of the cartridges is 9 ml and not 10 ml, as I wrote first. I have now corrected the numbers

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
thx, never knew the sponge side held that much. looks like newer carts even more, 70%.

i was trying to get a feel for how many refills i get out of my bulk ink containers

here were the numbers i used to make the calculations on number refills:

4oz bulk ink = 118ml, PGI5(13mls to refill, 9 refills), CLI8(8 mls to refill, 15 refills)
8oz bulk ink = 237ml, PGI5(13mls to refill, 18 refills), CLI8(8 mls to refill, 30 refills)
16oz bulk ink = 473ml, PGI5(13mls to refill, 36 refills), CLI8(8 mls to refill, 59 refills)
32oz bulk ink = 946ml, PGI5(13mls to refill, 73 refills), CLI8(8 mls to refill, 118 refills)

for the different carts just plug in the mls to refill reservoir side to get numbers of refills. once known, can also calculate cost per refill.

J

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
It will certainly give you a good idea of refills available however it does not take into consideration the take-up of the ink in the sponge side depending whether it straight out of the printer, or older stored spares. This can be considerable, or wastage where costs are being calculated.

In my case wastage has been considerable with head cleaning/purging of partially filled suspect carts in my quest to cure my magenta problem, now sorted thank goodness. I noticed the couple of compatible carts I tried seemed to last no time at all. The tank was full but probably the inferior sponge used holds less ink ?

Ink usage never seems to be completely even, some colours seem to be used up more quickly and you have to replace 1 colour before others.

Useful information though.

Thanks

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
PeterBJ said:
Maybe The Hat could measure some of the new PGI-x50/CLI-x51?
I guess the percentage of ink in the reservoir is very low for the starter versions of the new cartridges.
Youre out of luck with the 551/550 carts that I have,
I only got set-up carts and what I can tell is they just have an eyeful of ink in them, sorry.. :th

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The Hat wrote:

Youre out of luck with the 551/550 carts that I have,
I only got set-up carts and what I can tell is they just have an eyeful of ink in them, sorry..
I think I have figured out the ink volumes for the CLI-x51 starter and XL cartridges.

According to this site: http://www.printerpatroner.dk/shop/sort-blaekpatron-550pgbk-4672p.html , the starter cartridge holds 7 ml and the XL cartridge holds 11 ml.

From the images here, scroll down to the cut open cartridges: http://www.druckerchannel.de/artikel.php?ID=3269&seite=3&t=aufbau_der_tintenpatronen it appears that the volume of the ink chamber in the XL cartridges is 3 times that of the starter cartridges

Assuming the ink contained in the sponges is the same for the starter and XL cartridges we have these equations x+y = 7 and 3x+y = 11, where y is the ink in the sponge and x is the volume of the small ink chamber and 3x is the volume of the XL ink chamber.

Solving the equations gives x = 2 , 3x = 6 , and y = 5 which means that the sponges in both cartridges hold 5ml and the small ink chamber holds 2ml and the XL ink chamber holds 6ml.

Percentage of total ink in the ink chambers is then for the small cartridge = 2/(2+5) = 29% and for the XL cartridge = 6/(5+6) = 55%