Important : Canon Pro-100 Cli-42 Yellow Ink

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
My evil twin inside me is thinking that CANON has to be reading all of this. I am imagining them changing the chemistry on all of their CLI-42 colors so it behaves just like the current yellow ink. So far only the yellow has had this adverse reaction. My Yellow cart didn't even contact a single drop of water! Presumably it reacted slowing to the water that the IS yellow normally contains. It took about 5 refills to cause the clog. It was easily disolved and cleared off with Windex but I cought the problem very early and was able to immediately nip it in the bud!

Joe

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
3. Should really be to make an effort to sell OEM ink to someone who only trusts and wants the slow fade of Chromalife and want it dearly. Let's say you get $10 per cartridge for that you might get more.. you get $80 for 8. Now if that user only uses only Canon ink, then they are sure to have spare carts and CHIPS!!!!! That's the condition of the deal.
The deal is to sell the cart for $10 and get 8 chips back. Reset those chips!

Now take the 8 chips, buy some CLI-8 blanks swap them over, use my ICC profiles and let's see, you've now got money in pocket and printing with ICCs and possibly better neutral tones than what some obtained from Canon!

George in Georgia

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 100, Epson R1800
Okay. I've done one refill and I've ordered the CLI 8 cart to replace the OE yellow cart. Let me see if I understand this. I should:

1. Toss the OE cart, after removing its chip.
2. Install the chip on the CLI 8 cart.
3. Remove the print head and soak it in Windex w. ammonia or similar. How about adding household ammonia to hot dishwasher detergent?
4. Rinse the head and dry thoroughly, perhaps with an electric hair dryer?
5. Fill the "new" yellow cart and top off the rest of the carts, resetting all chips, of course.
6. Reinstall everything, and print happily ever after? I hope?

Now, I'd imagine that ICC profiles for either Canon inks or Precision Color inks won't work properly at this point. How many fill cycles before Precision Color profiles would work? Or should I roll my own using ProfilePrism, but of course those profiles won't be really precise until the mix within the carts stabilizes. Sounds like I'll have to make do with so-so accuracy for a while.

Ah, what we endure for our "art"!

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
George, there's no need to remove the printhead when replacing. I had done switching between OEM and the PC42 Y multiple times with no problems. Remember each time the printer has had its lid open it performs a mini flush when the lid is closed. If you want you can perform a head cleaning that includes the yellow bank.

The key colors that will drive the difference in the ICC are the magentas. Once you get those changed over, you're 80-90% there. You may wish to obtain refurbed carts for those colors and jump right in at that point after a chip swap. Otherwise it is a case of waiting and waiting.

Do not dry out the printhead with a electric dryer. The nozzles always want to remain with some liquid in it. Just pop in the refilled refurbed cart and do a head clean, some printing and you're set.

This is not a time for panic but caution, minimizing use of the printer until the cart swap is done.

George in Georgia

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
George, there's no need to remove the printhead when replacing. I had done switching between OEM and the PC42 Y multiple times with no problems. Remember each time the printer has had its lid open it performs a mini flush when the lid is closed. If you want you can perform a head cleaning that includes the yellow bank.

The key colors that will drive the difference in the ICC are the magentas. Once you get those changed over, you're 80-90% there. You may wish to obtain refurbed carts for those colors and jump right in at that point after a chip swap. Otherwise it is a case of waiting and waiting.

Do not dry out the printhead with a electric dryer. The nozzles always want to remain with some liquid in it. Just pop in the refilled refurbed cart and do a head clean, some printing and you're set.

This is not a time for panic but caution, minimizing use of the printer until the cart swap is done.

Many thanks for clearing up my confusion! I rather dreaded cleaning the print head. And I like the idea of popping for the magenta carts. The OEM carts gave a wonderful match to my calibrated monitor, and ASUS PA248 LCD, and I'd like to get back there. What I have now is pleasant, but not quite right.

Methodical

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
USA
I just wanted to post up a couple photos of my Yellow ink cartridge after only 1 top off where you can see some unusual things. I assume this is what's being talked about in this thread. Fortunately, I found another Pro 100 (yesterday) and just swapped in the entire 8 cartridge set while I wait for the PC refurbed unit to arrive. The PM cartridge just ran low today, so I decided to check the yellow cartridge and noticed what you see in the images. I will see if I can clean this cartridge up at some point (waiting on the cleanup tools) to see how far I get. I had to de-saturate the reds and did a couple other non-traditional edits, so the junk can really be seen. I ran a nozzle check and it checked out fine. Is there any other maintenance I should do to make sure there are no side affects from this?

Thanks...Al

Al
5DM38942-2.jpg
5DM38946-2.jpg

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Those are impressive images clearly showing precipitation taking place :thumbsup

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Al,
Are you saying that you topped off your yellow cartridge with I.S. ink, without purging the OEM ink out first ?

Methodical

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
USA
Al,
Are you saying that you topped off your yellow cartridge with I.S. ink, without purging the OEM ink out first ?

I topped it off (about 1/2 was gone) just before seeing this thread with the PC yellow ink kit (see also post #4), so I did not know of this issue before the refill. BTW, should I not use the new Canon yellow cartridge that I just installed.

George in Georgia

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
My empty yellow cart arrived from Precision Colors and the transfer of the chip went well. I filled the yellow cart and topped of the rest - that printer does like grey ink! and the results look good. I'll run through more ink before I attempt to run profiles with ProfilePrism, although I'll certainly try P-C's profiles.

Gotta buy some "rubber" gloves, cyan nails just ain't me.

That printer does like its ink! Love the prints, though.