I'm keeping one Windows XP machine because...

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
...I can reset the waste pad counter on my Artisan 800 (did so tonight).

...I can operate an older EPSOn 32 bit film/flatbed scanner, that 64 bit machines won't run well.

...I can remotely control a tethered old digicam that is no longer supported...

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I am doing the same because I can operate it.

My efforts with Win 7 Prof are improving, but I still can't find things that do what I want to do, they have taken away direct access and hidden it away behind layers of obscurity.

MS are also getting a bit tedious by continually warning about the insecurity of being unsupported. It's like they are trying to start a stampede!

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
If you want to have easier access to settings in win 7 you can create a new folder in c: and name it
Code:
GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}
. You will have a folder with all kind of settings in it.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
...I can reset the waste pad counter on my Artisan 800 (did so tonight).

...I can operate an older EPSOn 32 bit film/flatbed scanner, that 64 bit machines won't run well.

...I can remotely control a tethered old digicam that is no longer supported...
I can't remember how many devices I've had to dump when moving to the newest MS operating system. I've always been of the opinion that "if it ain't broken, don't fix it." Newer may be, in some ways, better, but only if you need the features that the "upgrade" comes with. Of course, there are many of us who enjoy staying up with the latest in the digital world, but I'm a dinasaur and enjoy staying with what is familiar and works for me. I have, however, given up my dial phone, and I do wear my car's seat belts.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Well sometimes it is frustrating trying to keep what is not broke and moving along with what you got.
Upgraded my older OCZ Vertex3 120GB to a Seagate 600 240GB SSD. Could not pass up a deal.. figured the older Vertex would breathe some new life into an older PC. Intended to reuse the Vertex3 into an older Asus AM2 M2V MB. No Dice, the MB is too old..won't work it has SATA but the controller will not work with an SSD.
My newer Seagate MB is not liked by my newer AM3 MB. I have to turn off AHCI and SMART in the BIOS....the Vertex3 ran perfectly with no issues before. But I want my AM3 MB because it is the newest MB I could find that still has a parallel port....cause I stocked up on toner cartridges for an HP4P laser. I need to acquire an AM3+ MB but I could find none with a parallel port. And yes, I tried using a USB to LPT converter years ago on a laser. It also did not like the older laser.

So sometimes upgrading and keeping the old at the same time can box you in. Soon it may be time for a reboot and boot out the old tech though it still works...it just doesn't feel right but I hear it is worse on the Mac side.

BTW dial phones are cool. There are new phones that mimic dial phones. Dial phones will test the patience of those who use memory and speed dial. I use to use my finger to pull it back faster to create speed dialling!

Last evening during dinner my niece called me old but not quite dinosaur.....because I don't subscribe to cloud services. i get it.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Clouds are heavenward, no need to rush. Have you be to the recycling bay recently and seen the mountains of old equipment, it's amazing.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
But I want my AM3 MB because it is the newest MB I could find that still has a parallel port....cause I stocked up on toner cartridges for an HP4P laser. I need to acquire an AM3+ MB but I could find none with a parallel port. And yes, I tried using a USB to LPT converter years ago on a laser. It also did not like the older laser.

Maybe a parallel port extension card for PCI slot or for PCI-e slot could drive the laser printer? You could then use one of the newest and most powerful motherboards and other hardware to speed up profiling.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Tudor said:
GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}
Whatever this God Mode thing is or does is just way over my head, so what does it do better than the conventional Control Panel ?
I been using Win 7 for 5 years and have not found any hardware that won’t work with it yet, Win 8 on the other hand maybe my undoing.

Today sees the last XP updates, so how long will they hold out in the Alamo before Antonio López comes over the wall, maybe another 12 weeks or so I reckon ?