i860 not printing cyan

popsy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I just unclogged the purge unit. Everything seemed fine when I printed a nozzle check, except the cyan looked a little streaky. The more I've cleaned, checked, printed, the worse it got. I put in a new tank. With cleaning I could get a little blue but then it would run out. A regular print is unrecognizable. I've taken the print head out and cleaned it, checked that the cyan nozzles worked, but, alas, no cyan. Could I have messed something up when I had it apart to clear the purge unit? I'm just about ready to throw all these printers off a ledge.

popsy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Not really. Or I don't think so, anyway. I'll post a couple of nozzle checks that show the cyan on its way to not working at all.

743_testscan-1.jpg

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Please post a service test print instead of a nozzle check print. Instructions for entering the service mode and printing one are in the service manual.

Wayne

popsy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I followed the directions as I understood them but can't get it to do the alternating green/orange lights. I can't select for service mode. It just runs a sheet of paper through with no printing.

popsy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Is this the service test print?

743_service.jpg

popsy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Oops that one was tiny. Maybe this is better.

743_service-1.jpg

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
That close, I was expecting the service print to ALSO print all colors in grid fashion below the text (so you could see EACH nozzles performance) so we could see if there was an periodic grid problem in Cyan. See if there are other types of service print options (could be called an EXTENDED nozzle check) in the manual.

Here's a nozzle test print from an i960:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/uploads/2540_nozzle_check_small.jpg

Here's a service test print from an i960:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/uploads/2540_extended_nozzle_overal.jpg

Wayne

popsy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Finally I think I followed directions correctly.

743_untitled.jpg

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Most disturbing that it show significant cyan issues when compared to the example print on Page 1-20 of the service manual. "Mucho cyan missing", including the large halftone area below the black stripes.

Install a different cyan cart, do a clean, and print another service test print.

If no difference, open the cover and "false out" the cover open switch so that the printer thinks it's closed. Observe a cleaning cycle and see if it is possible to apply a light amount of pressure downwards on the head/cart assembly during cleaning with your fingers. If so, apply some pressure down while its on the purge pads during cleaning and try another service test print. Try to deflect down about 1/16". Particularly press down on the cyan cart if possible...

Report what you find.

Wayne