I560 Win 7 Drivers: "unable To Find A Core Driver Package"

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP4300 & Panny KX-MB271
1. Canon does not have drivers for this. Only some 'update' package which doesn't help.
2. Using MS's download site, the supposed correct driver package doesn't work.
3. Using the auto update feature of Win7, that doesn't work either. I do have automatically install drivers checked under hardware.

The error message is: "Unable to find a core driver package that is required by the printer driver Package"

It's a must to get this to work. Anyone that has this printer running Win7 found a fix for this?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Try uninstalling everything for that printer, then turn the printer off and unplug the USB cable,
next turn off your computer fully but don’t do a reboot, use a complete shut-down.

Now restart you computer, install the USB cable and turn on the printer then let the O/S
find and install the print drivers for you, make sure you’re connected to the web first.

That should work for you and your printer will be back printing properly again,
I have an i865 and that’s all I did to get mine working..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I agree with The Hat that plug and play install should work. I don't have an i560 but I have an i965 which I think is the same vintage. I also have a laptop running Windows 7 32bit, and I just have successfully installed the i965 on the laptop using plug and play install, with windows Update supplying the driver.

Check out canon support: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppo...ction/i_series/i560_series#DriversAndSoftware

It is seen that the install should be the plug and play with Windows Update supplying the driver. For the i965 the install is the same. A printer driver add on module is offered for download. This add on module is only necessary if your printer does CD printing. Without that CD printing doesn't work.

From Canon USA support site, click to enlarge:

i965-4.jpg

Edit: I have just noticed that the picture is wrong, it is for i550 series, but the picture for i560 series is exactly the same. I have corrected the link to the support.

Last edited:

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP4300 & Panny KX-MB271
My O/S install is a RT7 Lite version. The supplied Canon drivers w/W7 do not include the 500 series, but I believe it included the 900 series. I don't know about the 800's.

This "core driver" is the problem whatever that is suppose to mean. Knowing M$, I bet it isn't a driver, but some other file related to printers or the function of same. The required services are running. Something else is missing.

I have the separate driver d/l from their site, but I get the same message. I'll try he procedure you suggested, but I doubt that will work. Why the hell Canon doesn't have their drivers is beyond me. Supplying some add on without the basic package is even worse. :barnie

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
My O/S install is a RT7 Lite version.
I feel for you as I have recently upgraded to Windows 8 from XP Pro and worried that my Legacy hardware would not work. They have worked flawlessly, though I haven't tried my parallel port laser printer yet.

What sort of system are you using - microprocessor, RAM? Is this Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit?

All guarantees are off when you start with a tweaked OS. Do you know what was stripped and what is left and may have been tweaked which might cause functionality issues?

Follow what The Hat and PeterBJ have suggested. Turn off anti-viral apps for the installation just in case they are blocking your installation. If that does not work then unistall, reboot (cold boot) and try to install the printer as a Legacy Device: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ee851685.aspx

Other suggestions: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/27046-63-canon-i560-driver-windows-bit64

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Hi videobruce

I think your first link in post #5 explains what went wrong with your install. The core drivers are a part of a standard unaltered Windows install. Printer drivers from the printer manufacturer or Windows update depend on these core drivers. Could you locate and add these core drivers? It looks like RT7 Lite allows a lot of tweaking, adding or removal of components to suit individual needs.

If you have access to a computer running a standard version of Windows Vista, 7, 8 or 8.1 32 or 64 bit, you could test if the plug and play install works with the i560. My guess is that the printer will install in minutes without problems.