Hp 933 setup Magenta refill

Tigerman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5640, iX6840
Hi,
after refill OEM setup magenta 933 with ink and close firmly the refilling hole, put it in printer for some minutes then printer tell me depleted cartridge !! I check it then found its out of ink.

Can any tell me why this happened to cartridge where is ink gone !?

fill hole: bottom of cartridge.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The simple answer is you shouldn’t have tried to refill this cartridge from the bottom, because now you have rendered the cart useless, it will continue to leak permanently.

Please don’t try to refill it or the same thing will happen again, you’ll have to buy a new cart to continue to print, sorry.. :(

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I wonder if the ink leaked from the cartridge or the out of ink message is caused by the chip not being reset. It should be possible to override this message by turning off ink level control.

I think the HP933 cartridges are similar to the HP 951 cartridges, they are complicated in design. Different refill instructions exist. Here is an instruction for several different HP cartridges, scroll down to the page marked 40 or page 44 /64 by Adobe reader.

Note the two different refill methods. You can either use a special adapter and refill through the ink outlet at the bottom or remove the ink fill hole sealing ball and fill through this hole and seal it with a suitable silicone plug after the refill. The plugs suitable for Canon cartridges also fits the HP cartridges.

Here is an instruction for a vacuum refill method using a syringe and special adapter. Here is an instruction with drilling the cartridge and sealing it with a plug after refill. But where should you drill without ruining the inner works of the cartridge?

I have no experience with refilling these cartridges, but I found an empty HP951 setup magenta cartridge, which I cut open to take a look at the inner works and figure out how the cartridge works. Note that a large part of the cartridge is not used.

This is the main parts of the cartridge. Note the two ball valves. The valve marked Ink inlet valve should actually be marked ink outlet valve. The air inlet valve is held closed by a small leaf spring. Also note the plastic bag. This bag does not contain ink but fills with air as the ink is used. A larger leaf spring presses against this "airbag" to create a vacuum in the cartridge.
HP951-1.jpg

This is the labelled side of the cartridge with the label removed. Note two different air inlet systems, One goes to the "airbag" via the air inlet at the end of the cartridge or the small rectangular opening only partly covered by the label, one goes to the air inlet valve. The end of this channel is not covered by the label.
HP951-2.jpg

Here is the the inner side of the labelled cartridge side. Note the two leaf springs. I used some "Sticky fix" to hold the springs in place for scanning.

HP951-3.jpg

Here is an end view of the cartridge, the grey blob is "Sticky fix" attached to the chip part to hold the cartridge vertical for scanning. Note the ink outlet, the fill hole sealed with a plastic ball and an air inlet. The plastic ball sealing the fill hole is of the same type as those sealing the fill holes on Canon cartridges. They can be removed the same way. First use a push pin to make a starter hole for an eyelet screw. Then remove the push pin and use the eyelet screw as a miniature corkscrew to remove the ball. After refill use a suitable plug to seal the fill hole. The silicone plugs used for Canon cartridges also fit these HP cartridges.

HP951-4.jpg

As I have cut the cartridge open, I cannot try a test refill using water, but my guess is that it might be possible to refill the cartridge by removing the sealing ball using first the push pin to drill a starting hole and then use the eyelet screw to remove the sealing ball. After refill with the fill hole facing upwards, seal the refill hole with a suitable plug. The plugs that fit the Canon cartridges also fit the HP cartridges. This method is similar to method A from the first instruction linked to. It might be necessary to prime the cartridge by inserting a special refill tool attached to a syringe and suck out air from the ink valve chamber.

Method B from the first instruction also looks to me as if it could work, and you don't have to seal air inlets to create a vacuum. You will have to use a special tool to open the ink outlet valve to allow refill. The special tool is available from octopus office.de which has the vacuum refill instruction.

I have no experience refilling those HP cartridges, has anybody refilled these and can tell more?

Last edited:

smikey

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
The key to a successful refill with this type of cartridge is priming or re-pressurizing after refill. Whether it is filled through the fillhole or ink outlet like PeterBJ pointed out, you have to prime the cartridge otherwise ink will be "overflowing" inside the printer once you install it. You will also need a good replacement chip.... once "Ink Depleted" appears, you can not by pass the message.. unless you replace the cartridge with a new one.

Tigerman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5640, iX6840
According to to images above from @PeterBJ I use refill hole at bottom of cartridge but exactly where i make hole of 4 mm I don't know, but I am sure there is leak of ink from drill hole because its seal with plug (get from refillable cartridge).
I will try buy new cartridges as @TheHat suggest and then refill it, my question whet best remove plastic ball or push it into cartridge ? what plastic ball diameter need to seal it with plug ?

note: printer give message cartridge depleted when there is no ink in cartridge.
can't use this tapered blunt to refill from ink outlet replace of special adapter from octopus?
18g-taper__83736_zoom.jpg

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The video is an excellent find. I think it answers most or all of the questions about refilling the cartridges and the ink depleted message. :thumbsup

Tigerman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5640, iX6840
The video is an excellent find. I think it answers most or all of the questions about refilling the cartridges and the ink depleted message. :thumbsup
but from where get refill needle (transparent) ??

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Octopus-Office.de offers the refill adapter in two versions. One version is 4 plastic adapters and 4 syringes, another is a professional grade adapter machined from brass. I think one type of adapter will do, you don't need two different adapters as shown in the video. It might be possible to use the Epson pull through adapter from Octoinkjet UK if it will fit the HP cartridges. Octoinkjet UK also offers conical plastic "needles" in 4 different sizes. Maybe one of these "needles" will fit the ink outlet on the HP cartridge? It could then be modified into a refill adapter by piercing a couple of holes one millimetre behind the tip of the "needle". as shown in the video. Be careful not to damage the ink outlet valve or the rubber seal if you experiment with home made adapters.

If you search the web you will find many different instructions for refilling these cartridges. I think the best instructions are those that do not need modifications to the cartridges. This makes the the method from the video and the instruction from Octopus-Office.de the best IMO, as there is no need to remove the sealing ball and replace it with a suitable plug. Note that the refill method from Octopus-Office.de is a vacuum refill method that requires that the air inlets are sealed during refill.

I would avoid methods that need a hole drilled into the cartridge for two reasons. First if you drill the hole in a wrong place the complicated inner works of the cartridge is ruined. Second drilling a perfectly round hole of the proper size with a hand held drill is impossible. This might make a plug seal unreliably.