pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
OM2 said:
Redbrickman said:
IPA is not readily available in UK chemists, but some sell in the Feepay auction ;)
surely there must be an alternative?
i'm sure i can get hold of from the states - but i can't believe that there wouldn't be an alternative in the uk?
Yes you can use standard denaturated alcohol (ethanol) 96% , but the problem lies in the denaturating agent. Some countries use denationium chloride, which make it impotable, but it can interfere with some ingredients in ink, so be careful. You can use potable alcohol, if you are willing to pay the hefty taxes on it.....

Sometimes IPA is called rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol=isopropanol), but be sure it does not contain any additives. If it is diluted with water (let's say 70%), it is not a problem, but calculate back to obtain a total percentage around 20 % in the end solution.

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
guys, i'm still confused what u should do if u don't have the orange clip?
thanks

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
stratman said:
Redbrickman said:
IPA is not readily available in UK chemists
Why?
IPA is either isopropyl alcohol or India pale ale, depending on where you come from. I would think either is readily available, although local laws can be awfully funny.

I would avoid denatured alcohol, as it contains any of many dissolved materials, and it is rarely if ever labeled properly with the actual ingredients. I would think the dissolved materials would be extremely hazardous to an inkjet printer.

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I do not know how is in UK but in my area IPA is available in any electronic hobbyist shop, without restriction.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
gigigogu said:
I do not know how is in UK but in my area IPA is available in any electronic hobbyist shop, without restriction.
I used to always buy my isopropyl alcohol in 25 litre plastic drums from a big trade supplier without any difficulty at all.
But then we do have the best whiskey so no worries.. :weee :lol:

Big_Al

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Big_Al said:
So, are you guys saying that a backup print head that I cleaned, dryed, and put in a smaill box two months ago, is now damaged?
Al
I'll ask my question in a different way. The backup print head (Canon iP4300) has been totally dry for over two months. Do I just leave the head in the condition it is in, or do I-----?
Al

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Big_Al said:
Big_Al said:
So, are you guys saying that a backup print head that I cleaned, dryed, and put in a smaill box two months ago, is now damaged?
Al
I'll ask my question in a different way. The backup print head (Canon iP4300) has been totally dry for over two months. Do I just leave the head in the condition it is in, or do I-----?
Al
Your print head may be perfectly fine in its "dry" stored state. The only reasonable way to tell is to use it to print.

On the other hand, if you think about how Canon treats their print head post-manufacture but pre-use (lubricated with a blue solution) AND what the conditions Canon believes the print head will be exposed to for the life of the print head (lubricated by ink), then you may want to consider Pharmacist's solution for storage, particularly for long term storage. The print head has plastic parts that Canon obviously believes it best to keep lubricated in order to prevent failure from changes in the material itself.

Exactly how long a print head can go without lubrication of the internals is unknown and dependent upon environmental conditions. If you want to maximize the potential life of a stored print head, you should consider a solution to lubricate the internal surfaces of the print head. The choice of solution is then critical since you do not want a solution that will itself be destructive to the print head.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
OM2 regarding Isopropanol I also could not find it locally but I got mine from Amazon

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
barfl2 said:
OM2 regarding Isopropanol I also could not find it locally but I got mine from Amazon
Researching this issue of IPA in England I found numerous responses that it was readily available at a number of stores, both pharmacy and hobbyist/craft businesses, but that it

1) may be behind the counter and you need to ask, or,

2) it may not be located on the shelves where you think it should be.

I also read you have something called "Surgical Spirits" which contains IPA but also other ingredients which could act as contaminants for the purposes of working on print heads.

What stores did you search and did you ask if IPA was available? Was this a B&M store or a web site? Maybe we can get a list together of places that do have IPA available for other members to reference in the future.