How does the Pro9000 Mark II prime new carts?

tony22

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Does it reprime all carts when one new one gets installed, or just the one that got installed? I suspect I know the answer, but wanted to get confirmation from anyone who knows for sure.

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I'm not sure about this, but in the Pro9000 driver there are two options for cleaning and deep cleaning.
Bank 1 (BK, R, G, PC, PM) and Bank 2 (C, M, Y).

It MAY only prime the bank that you switched the cartridge out on, but I don't know that for sure.

Either way, the Pro9000 does not drink as much ink during priming as the Epson printers seem to do.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I know for sure that the i9900 which has eight unchipped BCI-6 cartridges will prime only the bank in which you replace a low cartridge with a full (not low) cartridge and I suspect that the later models with chipped cartridges will do the same thing, except that with my printers that use CLI-8 cartridges, they do not do any priming if the cartridge is low as opposed to empty and replaced with a full cartridge.

tony22

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
except that with my printers that use CLI-8 cartridges, they do not do any priming if the cartridge is low as opposed to empty and replaced with a full cartridge.
So if I replace the cart before it is empty there's a chance it will not reprime, but if I wait until the cart is empty it will?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The rule of thumb I use is, replace the cartridge when showing (low ink).
That way the cartridge is far less lightly to have any problems when refilled (no time to dry out)..:)

tony22

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ah. Good tip. Thanks.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
The Hat said:
The rule of thumb I use is, replace the cartridge when showing (low ink).
That way the cartridge is far less lightly to have any problems when refilled (no time to dry out)..:)
That's a good rule which I like to follow too, but haven't you observed that the printer doesn't automatically take the time to do a prime cycle? I always do a nozzle check after replacing a cartridge and it sometimes immediately starts printing.

I have also experiemented by putting a low cartridge in, closing the cover and observe that the display shows a low cartridge, then put a full cartridge in and the printer will print immediately. With my older chipless printers, this would always initiate a prime cycle but not with my MX700's.

What's your experience?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
There is three of my cartridges getting low in my ip4500 at this time without the low ink signal, I intend to refill one of them to see whats happens without waiting for the low warning on this cartridge.
I will observe the other two and change them when showing low and I will report back on what its doing in the prime cycle department.
I never do a nozzle check after a cartridge change its just one out and one in, it only takes about 2 seconds..

tony22

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
So as this seems to be a good bit of advice, I guess the question to ask is, for a CLI-8 cart - if I pull it when it first provides a Low Ink warning - how much ink do I wind up throwing out? Or, how many additional prints would I have gotten if I kept it in until it was empty? Assume standard ink usage (normal assortment of color prints).

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
tony22 how much ink do I wind up throwing out?
The answer to that is simple NONE, Just reset the cartridge then top it up with ink and reuse. :)

The update on the cartridge (prime cycle).
I refilled the yellow before the low ink showing and the printer continued with no priming cycle (didnt reset chip).
Next the magenta ink low warning came up and I refilled that cartridge, again the printer didnt do a prime cycle but when I tried to resume my print job then the prime cycle kicked in.
Later the cyan ink low warning came up and the same thing happened to that colour, primed only before resuming printing.
So on chipped cartridges if one wants to save as much ink as possible then refill before the ink low warning message comes up and dont reset the chip..