How do computers calculate the amount of the ink?

oblue

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me how the remaining ink in a cartridge is calculated by a printer? Is there any way that a printer knows that it has a cartridge with a bigger or smaller ink tank than the one used previously and therefore calculate the ink levels correctly?

The reason why I am asking this, if I use refillable cartridges (pgi520 & cli521) in my Canon MP550 with the original chips fixed on them, would that cause any problem in terms of the ink levels calculated? I think the ink tanks in the refillable ones are bigger than that of the original ones (but I am not too sure about this). I have refillable cartridges and the ink tank is almost twice as bigger than the sponged area. So, this brings up the question that whether or not the canon printers are programmed to calculate the amount of the ink remained in the original cartridges only. If this is the case, what will happen if I install a refillable cartridge with a bigger ink tank and an original chip on it? Will the printer get it right?

errante

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I haven't heard about "setting ink capacity" in the chips.
Think about a "inkdrop counter" programmed in the chip, so that each time the printer uses that cartridge, it adds some inkdrops to the count. The drivers show different levels and warnings when it gets too high. Finally, you can get rid of the ink monitoring for that cartridge or use a chip resetter and start again.

As the levels are calculated for original cartridges, you should take your refillable ones out from time to time to get an exact notion of the remaining ink.

oblue

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
When you say
As the levels are calculated for original cartridges
, do you mean that the printer may calculate the remaining ink level wrong even if, say, half of the cartridge is full when I use a refillable one?

MP640

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6150
Best approach is to refill the original cartridges and use a chip resetter. The original cartridges are designed by the printer manufacturer for your printer. Usually they are copyrighted, so anyting else will be of a lesser quality.

errante

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
oblue said:
do you mean that the printer may calculate the remaining ink level wrong even if, say, half of the cartridge is full when I use a refillable one?
Yes, it can't "detect" ink level. If you use the original chip with a refillable cartridge with a different amount of ink, the count won't fit either.

By the way, I have not much experience with chipped cartridges. I usually reset and refill aftermarket ones but with a similar configuration to OEM (ink chamber and sponge size). I take them out from time to time and confirm the ink levels.

Considering that:
- there are two different "low ink warnings" (both by the drivers and the flashing rates),
- the sponge design gives some flexibility,
- and the tiny ink capacity doesn't allow huge deviations... :mad:

... the system works reasonably well for me.

oblue

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I see. Now I am much more clear about the issue, thank you for the advice...