Hobbicolors Pigment Black w/ Mx860... Will it bleed?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
leo8088 said:
Just read my post again, OK?
With the greatest of respect Leo, I suggest you re-read the post above as it contains some useful information about why your scanned images aren't very useful... more importantly it provides some really useful information on how to save the scans with more detail and without interference.

As for the topic, at the moment I can't see any difference apart from what looks like bleed on both...

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Thanks Welsmnail. It's not about the hint. I had no comment about the hint. That means I acknowledged it and I may do something about the scans later (it takes time to rescan). As far as the rest of his questions I thought he can find answers by reading my message again. I really don't want to waste time to repeat it because who knows how he is going to interpret my message. There is no need to get into another fight in case he is going to twist my words aruond and use it against me with another 50 cent bet.

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I didn't want to jump into a false conclusion. It may all depend on the paper used. I printed the same text with OEM and HC ink and tried to avoid making my own conclusion. I posted the scans and let people to see themselves. I amy find some time to do it again. I still have the prints.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
leo8088

As you are going to rescan your prints again may I be so bold and suggest, that you scan both prints together in landscape.
That way we can study them both side by side..

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
leo8088, what about the pigment black text over colored background on normal copier paper (not inkjet coated paper). Any idea does the pgiment black text bleeds? For eg:

2740_refillpigmentbk.jpg

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I don't have an immediate answer to this question. I do not print such graphics like that. You should try to print with all dye inks. It is a common sense to me to print graphics (photos) with dye ink. If the paper you use is the cheap copy paper you obviously are not seeking much quality. If you print with dye ink your problem is solved. But if you have plain black text on other part of your document you can print it separately. This means print the graphic only first. Then put the paper back to the tray and print the text with pigment black ink again. This is a 2 pass printing. It is an easy solution.

On the other hand, if you want the print to be in absolutely the best quality there are some coated inkjet paper of Canon and Epson brands that are really the best for this kind of print. The entire print will be printed with dye inks only. The graphic part will be as vivid as it should be and the text will be deep dark and very sharp. Some of such papers are coated on both sides too.

There are many new printers out there now. 3rd party inks are changing too. OEM cartridges are getting more complicated. They have chips on them now. Still pretty easy to refill.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
leo8088, not photo. But documents. Above image is Just an example for text over colored background. I don't why you think it's photos or graphics only. Documents can include both text and graphics. Such as manual, statistics report with charts Pie chart, bar charts etc or all other document where it can contains some graphics within a page of textual document and not a full page of graphics or photos.

It doesn't matter. I probably wait for ghwellsjr to help feedback on the KMP on this aspect.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
lin
Just for an exercise on the dye and pigment black that I use, I borrowed your Colour Ball scan (hope you dont mind) copied it into Illustrator and stuck the three words in it and printed it out on two different Canon printers both on standard quality printout. I put the two prints together and scanned them to PNG format then stuck in this tread for feedback. I wanted to test the amount of spread (bleeding) on the coloured background using just plain copy paper with two different black inks..

5128_colour_check_3.png

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Hi Hat, generally the dye black text over black colored background do not imposed much of the problem (assuming black dye ink was being refilled in PGI-5 and the rest of the color being dye ink) .

The picture I posted is with one pigment black ink that has this problem whenever it was printed over colored blackground. The reason was being that some of the pigment ink took a bit longer to dry. As such when it's printed over colored blackground it bleeds. However, Not all black pigment ink has this problem when it's printed over colored background. Which is why I wanted to know the quality of the black pigment ink over colored background when printed on normal copy paper.

This is another picture with black pigment ink over colored background which does not have the bleeds issue.
(Printer Print Mode : Standard Print Quality, Auto Color Intensity, Plain Paper Setting)
2740_originalcanon.jpg

And you may wonder why test on normal copy paper. Because I wanted to know the quality of the black pigment ink. Would you do the "water-resistence" test by printing dye ink on inkjet coated paper and wash them with water and then tell everyone that the dye ink is water-resistence and does not runs ? No, because you know that dye would adhere well to inkjet coated paper and does not run when the print is in contact with water. Similarly also, would you do the highlighter test of black text that was printed with pigment on inkjet coated paper? Again, no. You would test it on normal paper.

That is why I was asking leo8088 since he was showing the black text alone with Hobbicolors Pigment black. I don't need to know that I should try using dye or on better paper or higher quality setting mode or set the print to High Resolution Paper or such. I don't need another "Tin Ho" answer on this.

If 2 set of pigment black has the same comparable price (maybe different by a couple of dollars eg $1, $2), however one has a better quality over another. Knowing that, you could decide for yourself which one would you want to get.

I wish I had the chance to test the KMP. Maybe one fine day.

Your image on the bottom (where it was printed with pigment black) looks good and does not bleeds badly like the one shown in my picture (at post #35) which was taken 2 years ago. What pigment black ink did you used?

Here is the image I used to print the above picture.