Here we go again! - New Canon printers... ALREADY!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
It's not the chips that annoy me the most... it's the miniaturization of the cartridges. I think this is the most efficient way to make sure that customers who value time required for refilling more than the cost of the cartridge will choose originals.

How many times can a user of those mini-cartridges refill before frustration hits ?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990

inkadinkado

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Agreed. I would refill daily before giving any printer mfg. the satisfaction of getting that much money from me. I have way too many other ways to spend that money on more gainful and fun endeavors.

IanYY

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
websnail said:
MG5320, iP4920 coming to a USA store near you.

http://www.therecycler.com//news/15937/Canon-launches-nine-new-printers-in-USA.aspx

Looks like they are trying their damnedest to kill the chip resetter markets and 3rd party consumables... Can't say I blame them, t'is business after all... but this is getting just a teensy bit silly..

Bets on a different chip being used?
The new printers are called the MG5350 and IP4950 in the UK.
The new printers use the same carts as the previous range (225/226 and 525/526 carts).
The US models include CD/DVD printing for the first time (according to the Canon USA web site - don't believe it until someone reports having seen one working - have Canon really sorted out the Epson patent issue?).

But what puzzles me is this claim, copied from the MG5320 specification ...
"To access CREATIVE PARK PREMIUM from a qualifying Canon printer, all of the software that came with the printer and the full set of compatible genuine Canon ink tanks must be properly installed."
and from http://www.canon.co.uk/creativepark/
"*Access to CREATIVE PARK PREMIUM is only available on select PIXMA products that are using Canon genuine inks and is accessed through Canon Solution Menu EX."

Both these statements imply that Canon have found a way of detecting non-OEM compatible cartridges. Perhaps they can also now detect reset OEM carts?

Ian

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I caught on to this early on, when I reported on the increased "cleaning" cycles of the IP4700 vs the IP4600. On top of the increased ink wasting cycles, they sinisterly programmed the IP4700 printer to go through even more of them than normal after ink monitoring was disabled. The IP4600 stopped doing unnecessary cleaning cycles once you disabled ink monitoring. Surprisingly disabling ink monitoring on the IP4600 made the printer more usable as long as you kept an eye on the ink levels. That disabling ink monitoring with increased cleaning cycles, and also the reduced print quality on the matte paper setting was the straw that broke the camels back. It was like they were designing the printer to purposely piss off refillers. So now I'm a through and through Epson man. CISS rocks.