Help needed understanding Canon ip4500 nozzle check and system test

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
jimmerthy Do you think some more soaking of the head may sort this out?
Soaking may not fix your problem but then again it just might.
Leave it to soak for a day or so and then try it again you have nothing to lose but time.
Some of these clogs as Redbrickman says can take a long time to clear so be patient...:)

jimmerthy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Just following up on my own post, I tried to soak the head for a full 24h in the window cleaner and after giving it a full and comprehensive dry, the test print is still not working.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do now. I like the iP4500 and remember doing lots of research into it when I bought it. At the time, it seemed like this printer's successors seemed to offer smaller cartridge capacities for increased cost. Something that seems to be still the case when doing a cursory look over Canon's current offerings in that range.

Should I try to get a new print head for this printer? I'm just worried its something to do with the purge unit.

James

jimmerthy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Final follow-up.

I was agonising over whether to buy the ip4850 or try a new head for the ip4500.

Took a gamble and bought a new head for the ip4500 and glad to say it's paid off - instantly working properly.

I would like to know if there are any tips for keeping a print head healthy?
Some people seem to say that if you continue to print when there are blockages then the resistors in the blocked nozzles overheat and permanently damage the head. If true, this would fit with the usage pattern I had with the head I've replaced.
What about periodic soaking of the head in cleaner?

Thanks for all the help anyway.

Jimmerthy

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
jimmerthy Final follow-up.
Great to hear that your problem has being fixed with your new print head.
The best think you can do is to leave the print head in your machine and let the printer take care of it for you.
If you use good quality inks and print every so often then the print head should last a very long time,
just do a manual print head alignment and it will be ok..
Happy Printing..:)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Congrats on getting your IP4500 back up and running. Great printer.

The best way to keep the printer in good working order is to use it. If you print nothing at all in a week (or maybe 2 at the most), then do a nozzle check or something that will use ALL the ink cartridges. The nozzle check uses all the cartridges and has an advantage of readily pointing out errors in print flow without using a lot of ink in the process.