Help? Canon mp990 strange problem with black

IanJG

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello all
My first post, Iam rather a newb in such matters, did a search and couldn't find a similar case

I'm hoping someone here can help me with this:

I have a Canon pixma mp990

Recently it has stopped printing with the larger black ink cartridge that is meant for printing text (PGI-220BK)
All the other cartridges print fine
I was using a non-canon cartridge
I took it out and put one in from a different brand (internet ink in the UK, they use German OCP ink)

Still same problem

I tried cleaning cycle and the deep cleaning cycle (twice)

Still same problem
The ink level meter shows the black ink level as going down (presumably due to the cleaning, so the ink is coming out in some fashion)
Does anyone have any advice or has anyone ever had a similar problem?

Thanks all
Ian

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Did you test the purging pad ? Take a look with a look with a torch on the ink pads on the right side where the printhead is parking on. It should be almost dry. There are most likely 2 parts: one for the dye ink and 1 for the pigment. If one of them is quite wet and contain a pool of ink, then your problem is the purging system (it sucks away the ink away during cleaning cycles).

IanJG

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
It is pretty gooey, from what I can see and touch (it's hard to see in and reach in there); what does that mean I should actually do now?
thanks
Ian
(BTW I am in Brussels so we are sort of neighbours pharmacist)

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Just take piece a paper towel, wrap it into a ball and use it to suck up the glob ink. Do it until is completely dry (use forceps if you can not reach the area). Take out the cartridges and the printhead: carefully pat the nozzle heads dry on a piece of folded paper towel (DO NOT RUB). Now pull out the power supply: you do not want the printer to purge now for the time being.

Now use mixture 9 parts of window cleaner (e.g. Glassex or similar) and 1 part of strong ammonia (you don't need much: take a teaspoon to measure) and use a pipette to lay down an even layer of the solution on the effected purging pads. Place printhead and cartridges back and move it along the right side until the printhead is parking the purging head. Now let it stand for several hours for the ammonia mixture to do its work. Move the printhead away from the printhead and check if there is still liquid resting onf the sponges. If so: repeat the patting and dropping the mixture over the area and move back the printhead to its parking position. Now if the problem is solved: reattach the power supply and see if the problem has gone.

IanJG

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Sincerest thanks for your enlightening response
I followed a simplified version of what you said:
I cleaned the purge pad thing as you said and, as I was having trouble getting the print head out, I just lightly cleaned where it connects to the cartridge and dropped some drops of window cleaner on that hole/circle with a drenched q-tip. I waited for a bit and printed.

I was quite surprised as it actually worked and things are apparently printing fine now. Thanks a lot as I need my printer for my work and buying a new one was not what I most needed right now.

I only wish our summer here in Belgium were a little sunnier, though you have cast some metaphorical sunshine my way thanks a lot!
Ian

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi Ian,

I suggest you to use KMP pigment ink. I presume you are using aftermarket inks/cartridges. Many aftermarket pigment inks (the one for the big text black cartridge PGI-520) tends to clog the purging system. The safest one is KMP Pigment and also produces the blackest black, even blacker compared to the original Canon ink. Many members on this forum can confirm this.

IanJG

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice - is there anywhere you would recommend I buy it in cartridges?
Ian

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Try www.tintenalarm.de
They sell KMP cartridges and ink. I suggest you to refill the original cartridges. Not only is the ink flow much better than any aftermarket cartridges, but you can decide which ink you are using.

Try this link how to refill the cartridges:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4315

You will need a resetter too (choose the right one. I believe the MP990 uses the PGI-520/CLI-521 cartridges).

Most of us have concluded that refilling the original cartridges (not the aftermarket ones) is way better. With aftermarket carts you will more likely to suffer from ink flow problems and even clogs, including the your purging pads.

phelps

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have face with the same problem too. But still I can't find any solution to solve this problem.

Any great full assistance will be acceptable....:)