Hello again!! Looking for a new printer, please post suggestions.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
The advantage of the fixed head is that it's separated from the item which is the usual culprint in refilling problems: the ink tank. This allows you to do a variety of actions to salvage a tank that would have possibly destroyed a printhead-equipped cartridge. That's a fact. But I also think (from my experience but also seems a logical conclusion) that fixed print heads are more durable than cartridges (they are build to last for the lifetime of the printer while the cartridges are meant to last for the page yield of the cartridge).

In regards to dripping ink on the ink port -- don't even try it: It doesn't work. Ink will never find its way to the ink area, you'll get a bloated sponge and the cartridge will register as empty. There are only 2 practical methods in refilling the cartridge:

1) piercing the ink area from the top and refilling while the ink port is sealed (otherwise it will drip)
2) the durchstich.

The durchstich is superior; the first method (the "traditional") looks simple until you finish refilling and then you need to seal the top. Most of us have found it is really much more difficult that it looks. In the end, most forum users have found that a screw and a rubber o-ring will do. But the durchstich does not deal with these problems because it uses the properties of the tank itself to achieve pressure balance.

Don't attempt new refilling methods: either do it in the traditional nifty way, or the durchstich. You can buy a refill kit from Germany that includes everything you need (including the special long needles for durchstich).

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
If you like to print nice looking photos sometimes and text documents regularly you should buy an ip4500. It is probably the best low cost printer Canon offers now. It is more money than ip3300 but not much more. Ip3300 should be dirt cheap. If it is not then there is no reason to go one level up and get ip4500. Try to watch for sales from your local computer stores, especially large chain stores. Watch for Canon rebates and Canon refurbished sales too. Ip4300 is already discontinued. Your chance of finding one on sale is not very high. But ip4500 is on sale from time to time. DOn't get the newer ip4600. It is a rip off with cartridges that have a capacity of only 9 ml.

alexandereci

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I don't think anybody here carries a 4200, but there is a 4500 on order basis. 3500s are readily available.

I'm tempted to buy a 4xxx printer, but I don't think I really need the 2nd black ink tank. There are no pigment-based inks for sale here anyway, all are dye-based.

Still, the 3500 and 4500 are still good printers, right? Often get confused if this is so.

alexandereci

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
What I meant is that I confuse these printers with their "earlier" and "newer" counterparts...

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
OK, maybe the best way to keep it sorted is to think of the type of tank that the printer takes.
As you know, we're in another major "generation" change with Canon inkjets and the new models look very unsavory from a refillers standpoint.

The last of the desirable CLI-8, PGI-5BK cartridged printers are being phased out, grab one now.
CLI-8, PGI-5 are the first generation of Canon chipped cartridges and can be reset.

The previous generation of non-chipped cartridges are BCI-6, BCI-3eBK and many still use these, including myself but they have been out of production for years and are hard to find.

This new generation will take a cart with a three digit code as in 221 or 521 depending on your region.
I would avoid these.

In summary, if you are not sure about a given model, simply Google the "model" and the word "ink" to see what carts the printer takes. The official Canon website is a good source.

alexandereci

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
jflan said:
OK, maybe the best way to keep it sorted is to think of the type of tank that the printer takes.
Excellent idea... that way different type of printers are "the same" since they use the same tanks....

jflan said:
As you know, we're in another major "generation" change with Canon inkjets and the new models look very unsavory from a refillers standpoint.
Like I said, I've been out of the loop for a while, care to elaborate just a bit?

jflan said:
The last of the desirable CLI-8, PGI-5BK cartridged printers are being phased out, grab one now.
How do I know the "desirable" ones from the "non-desirable" ones? That sounded funny... but I'm serious.

jflan said:
The previous generation of non-chipped cartridges are BCI-6, BCI-3eBK and many still use these, including myself but they have been out of production for years and are hard to find.
Do these work with CLI-8/PGI-BK carts/printers anyway? They kinda look the same...

jflan said:
This new generation will take a cart with a three digit code as in 221 or 521 depending on your region.
I would avoid these.
New generation..... printers? Or are you talking about carts?

My apologies for being dense, but I want to make sure I understand you. :)

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Buy the Canon PIXMA ip3300. It's a good model. You won't regret it.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
alexandereci said:
jflan said:
Excellent idea... that way different type of printers are "the same" since they use the same tanks....
To a degree, some are 4 tank systems, some are 5 tank systems, some are 7 tanks.
More tanks (read more colors) = more photo capability, but even the less expensive 4 tank systems produce a decent photo. See the Canon link please.

jflan said:
Like I said, I've been out of the loop for a while, care to elaborate just a bit?
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3419
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategoryid=116
610 vs. 620 and 970 vs. 980
You will want to check the Canon site for your region.

jflan said:
How do I know the "desirable" ones from the "non-desirable" ones? That sounded funny... but I'm serious.
Do you need a basic printer or AIO ? Please see above for the various products.

jflan said:
Do these work with CLI-8/PGI-BK carts/printers anyway? They kinda look the same...
??? I suppose you could put chipped carts in the older printers but what would be the point ?

jflan said:
I would avoid these.
New generation..... printers? Or are you talking about carts?
Was trying to stay focused on carts.

My apologies for being dense, but I want to make sure I understand you. :)

alexandereci

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
panos said:
Buy the Canon PIXMA ip3300. It's a good model. You won't regret it.
Thanks for the excellent words, panos. I already did :D :lol: :cool:

@jflan:
I can only do 4 colors since local stores do not store photo-CYM colors, or pigment black. I do see what you mean about refilling and newer models.... I'm itching to go out and get me another 3300 or 4500 for "just in case." Maybe I will when the budget allows.

jflan said:
Do you need a basic printer or AIO ? Please see above for the various products.
Basic printer please.

jflan said:
??? I suppose you could put chipped carts in the older printers but what would be the point ?
What I meant is can I put a non-chipped cart on a new printer?

jflan said:
I would avoid these.
I guess you were referring about this in case I buy ink carts from online or overseas? No worries if that's the case, I can easily afford OEM carts... I just hope that's all I need to buy for this printer every now and then.