Greyscale embedded photo printing problem

bratpat

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5450S
I've successfully printed 8 copies of an A5 small book on my Canon MG5450S. There are a number of photos inserted in the Word document. All are .jpg. There is a mix of CMYK (for colour photos) and greyscale (for black and white). In the last few days another print run has failed to print some of the greyscale photos. Others and all of the CMYKs print OK. They all print OK in my Lexmark colour laser printer.Any of the greyscale photos print OK as just an original photo (rather than embedded in a doc) whether set to print greyscale or not. They also fail if inserted in a single page Word doc. If I change the single page photo to RBG or CMYK it prints OK. If I change it from .jpg to .tif it prints OK. The only change to the printer was a new (large) black cartridge a week or so back. Has anyone else ever seen anything like this? It's not a showstopper as the obvious workaround is to change all the greyscale ones to .tif or use the Lexmark, but it's a bit of a puzzle.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
can you please run a nozzle check, scan it and post it here

bratpat

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5450S
Hi 'Inky'

I had already done the test and it was OK, but for certainty I have just run it again and added the scan here.

Thanks for the interest

bratpat

Attachments

• Nozzle test 15-9-15.pdf
    456.9 KB · Views: 236

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
all nozzles are there, o.k., what happens if you convert the grayscale images to standard RGB images, gray is just a special case of R=G=B within a color image.

bratpat

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5450S
As I said in the original post they do print OK if I change them to RBG or CMYK - or if I change from a .jpg to a .tiff. I sent the original page with greyscale .jpg inserted photos to a friend and he couldn't print it on his Canon either. I'm beginning to suspect some strange inter-action in Word but am puzzled as to why the Lexmark laser prints OK.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I think a grayscale option of a .jpg is quite an exotic option which is not interpreted by all programs and drivers etc - like a compressed .tif is not supported by all programs either.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@bratpat, Whatever your problem is it is not Word or your printer, it is something else that’s causing this unusual print issues.

I have just successfully printed these two JPEG prints [Converted from PDF] in Word just to demonstrate that it’s your photos that have the problem, you must be doing something to them to cause this anomaly to occur..

upload_2015-9-17_21-20-21.png
upload_2015-9-17_21-20-31.png

bratpat

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5450S
I think a grayscale option of a .jpg is quite an exotic option which is not interpreted by all programs and drivers etc - like a compressed .tif is not supported by all programs either.
Possibly so, but I printed 8 copies a few weeks back with no problem. So what changed?

bratpat

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5450S
@bratpat, Whatever your problem is it is not Word or your printer, it is something else that’s causing this unusual print issues.

I have just successfully printed these two JPEG prints [Converted from PDF] in Word just to demonstrate that it’s your photos that have the problem, you must be doing something to them to cause this anomaly to occur..

View attachment 3339View attachment 3340
The photos print fine as photos in either photo or document mode and with or without greyscale being selected in the print settings. The problem only occurs when I insert them in to a Word doc. Hence my thought. I'll covert the doc to a .pdf and see whay happens and get back to you. Thanks for the help so far. Wicklow huh! My folks were from Meath.

bratpat

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5450S
The photos print fine as photos in either photo or document mode and with or without greyscale being selected in the print settings. The problem only occurs when I insert them in to a Word doc. Hence my thought. I'll covert the doc to a .pdf and see whay happens and get back to you. Thanks for the help so far. Wicklow huh! My folks were from Meath.

Hah! Prompted by your test I went in reverse and converted it to .pdf - it printed without a problem. It has to be related to Word. I've got another friend trying the various test pages out. Watch this space.