Good Inkjet Useage Tips to PREVENT problems

jru

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is a basic question, but given that there seems to be a variety of tips out there, it might be of use to many.

The question is what folks would recommend for good inkjet usage tips in order to PREVENT problems.

Some examples I have heard:

-- run a nozzle test every day
-- print at least one page every day
-- check ink levels before starting a large print job
-- at what ink level to refill
-- when to use clean which cycles
-- don't wait for ink runout to refill

Do you recommend these?
Are there other recommendations you would make for preventing problems?

Thanks so much.

Simon R.

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I don't run a nozzle test every day or print at least one page every day and didn't have any problems.

About the checking ink levels before starting a large print job - it's practical, but has nothing to do with the "printer health"
;)

InkMon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
If its a Canon printer i believe there should always be ink in the tank side. Reason that if air stays in the sponge ink will dry there

jru

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies...

My printer is a ip4300.

Does anyone have a sense whether turning it ON and OFF throughout the day, when not using it has any negative impact on it?
((It seems to do some kind of processing when it is turned either ON or OFF).

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
jru said:
Thanks for your replies...

My printer is a ip4300.

Does anyone have a sense whether turning it ON and OFF throughout the day, when not using it has any negative impact on it?
((It seems to do some kind of processing when it is turned either ON or OFF).
Well, the only negative impact is the printer will use from 0.5 to 1 mililiter of ink. The actual number depends on printer model.

jru

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Thank you, smile.

So, if you don't mind my asking, do you keep your printer on all day, once it gets turned on, or do you turn it off and on as needed?

printerenquirer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
well that would be down to your own personal opinion, what do you use your printer for and how often, ask yourself is it worth it to turn it off if its going to be on and off every 2 hours, i leave mine on a lot i dont like the idea it burns ink when switched on and off, im just starting to get familiar with the machines but at the end of the day...practice makes perfect, ive started bidding on ebay for printers that are problem printers, but if you do your homework youll learn whats right for each individual.

let me give you an example

my canon mp600 has a 1.5Amp output
but my cx3600 has a 0.2Amp output
im in a position to pick and chose what i want each printer to do and for what job
it be more sensible for me to use my cx to stay on all night long because the ink is generic and rock bottom priced and wouldnt help run up a high electric bill, on the other hand the canon is worse for both ink and electricity so its worth taking things like that into consideration,

you could have one cheap printer and one not so cheap one and save the cheap one for office documents and silly stuff and use the expensive one for really important things and not use it very often,

hope this helps

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
printerenquirer said:
.....my canon mp600 has a 1.5Amp output
but my cx3600 has a 0.2Amp output.......
I assume you mean input currents - not outputs.

Do not be mislead by maximum currents that may be given on power supplies. The Canon specifications for the MP600 give 17W consumption when copying and only 1.5W when in standby. 1.5W is peanuts of power by any standards and is less than your TV uses on standby.

I switch on my printer if I need to use it, and I am then quite happy to leave it on all day.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I leave my printers on ALL the time. I never turn them off unless I need to for some specific reason. Is the concern that the printer will wear out quicker if you leave it on? Or is it a concern over wasting energy? With a Canon, you have a choice: you can waste energy or you can waste ink. I doubt that you could ever tell from your electric bill how much you save by turning your printer off when not being used, but you sure can tell from your ink bill.