German Method - making the all important hole

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Something has come up recently about the first step in the German method refilling approach and that's creating the hole for the needle to be able to slip through.

Now, until now I've gone the route of using a sharp needle with a pair of pliers and thought nothing further of it but it's pretty obvious that some folks find that quite difficult and need to use something else.

The tool of choice seems to be an "awl" which is basically like a screwdriver but with a sharp pointy end.

Question is simple... Does anyone see any mileage in stocking and selling something like this and more importantly would customs get seriously bent out of shape regarding something that could potentially be seen as a rather nasty weapon?

Thoughts?

Note: Price wise I'm seeing around 2.50 (roughly $4) as a cost.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Ok... Found a cheap and cheerful alternative so I'm going to take a limited chance on this and get enough in to try it and see how we go...

Price wise I'm sticking with 2.50 but I'll probably throw together a refill kit with everything (kitchen sink shown but not included :D) in it at a reduced cost.

Either way, if anyone thinks this be a good idea, pipe up now... and keep schtum if you think I'm mad ;) (yes, ALL of you! :D)

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I would think an awl or ice pick would be locally available anywhere. It takes about 10 seconds to poke a hole in the end of a cartridge. The one I use is not even sharp. It probably got dropped, point down on a concrete floor a couple times. Next time I'm in a grocery or drug store, I'll look for an awl or ice pick to see what they cost.

You can see a video of me poking a hole in a cartridge with my awl in the first video linked here. If you want to go direct to the video, click here.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
ghwellsjr said:
I would think an awl or ice pick would be locally available anywhere. It takes about 10 seconds to poke a hole in the end of a cartridge. The one I use is not even sharp. It probably got dropped, point down on a concrete floor a couple times. Next time I'm in a grocery or drug store, I'll look for an awl or ice pick to see what they cost.
Yeah... I'm just aware there's a few folks who like to have everything in a nice neat package, like resetters, etc... and more and more people are buying bits online instead of getting in the car.

Not sure what it's like near you but nowadays, in the UK there's not many independent hardware stores so buying something like that often means a trip to B&Q or similar, searching to find what you need and then finding it overpriced anyway..

As I said, I've taken a small risk and got a few in so we'll see if the convenience factor works out or not...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
websnail wrote:- As I said, I've taken a small risk and got a few in so we'll see if the convenience factor works out or not...
I think it would be a good idea too, the first one stop shop for the German filling method.
There are so many requests for the right tool to use for putting the hole in their cartridges, and this filling method is getting more popular.

As we say here:- Go on ya good thing.. :lol:

zefelder

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
websnail, just speaking for myself, if you had awls in stock I would have ordered one when I ordered inks and stuff a few weeks ago. Yes, it is incredibly easy to find awl in a local store, but it takes additional time and effort (and I am lazy). I ended using a steel nail connected to electric drill running at very low speed (yes, it worked but drill is overkill).

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score

errante

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Humm... awl, ice pick... I picture Sharon Stone getting into the refilling business :-D

Seriously, selling some kind of drilling tool doesn't sound very exotic. It is included in some starter kits, altough maybe some aren't the best suited for the German method.

I keep a "twist gimlet" from my older ink kit and it does the job.

Creative Commons (BY-NC-SA)

I find it rather slower compared to ghwellsjr's video, but perhaps a little more "dumb-proof".

I hope that a handy tool with the appropiate dimensions and ease of use will be appreciated ;-)

iP4XXX

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610, Canon iP4200
Since I use a 20 guage needle, a pushpin works perfect for making the hole. I push it in while rotating back and forth. It takes me about 5 seconds. It would not work for a larger diameter needle.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
:) I'm waiting for someone to suggest using a pneumatic drill soon... The ice pick wielding Sharon is a particularly interesting idea but I doubt I could afford to ship her out to every client...

Oh the imagination of everyone here... :D