German method: how to pull out the needle WITHOUT getting ink on you!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The one hypothesized harm would be an air channel underneath the sponge (in the space created by the needle underneath the sponge) instead of a fluid ink channel, which has been theorized to stop ink flow from the spongeless side. Think of an air bubble in an hydraulic system, including a human's blood vessels, causing disruption of fluid flow and malfunction of the system.

I have had air bubbles underneath the sponge to varying degrees and may or may not had a problem with a couple cartridges due to it. After a flushing everything worked fine again. One can remove most or all of the air bubble(s) by inverting the cartridge (and maybe tapping the cartridge to help dislodge the bubble) and/or injecting more ink at that area or sucking out the air bubble.

I do not follow jimbo123's method but still have had perfect results for well over a year. I will either release pressure on the squeeze bottle while the tip is in the spongeless side, and then pull the needle out, OR, I will gently inject ink as the needle traverses the sponge and stop injecting just before the needle comes out of the cartridge. I fill cartridge to within 2-4 mm from the top of the spongeless side.

You will develop your own technique based on your skills and intuition.

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
stratman, i think that's great advice + info
so, if i release while there is 25% stll empty in the reservoir - i am ok?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
OM2 said:
so, if i release while there is 25% stll empty in the reservoir - i am ok?
I take it you mean releasing pressure on the squeeze bottle while the needle tip is in the air pocket of the spongeless side? If so, then give it a try.

If you find that air follows the needle as you withdraw from the spongeless side into the sponged side, then for the next refill turn the cartridge right-side up (ink ejection port facing towards floor) so the needle is below the air bubble before withdrawing the needle from the spongeless side.

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
in the past i have used the "reverse german method", to draw ink out of the ink chamber with any problems. ie squeeze before inserting, hold to create negative pressure, insert needle and then release to draw ink into the squeeze bottle.

never had the air channel issue, maybe lucky, who knows.

much of this is trial and error, the german refill method is pretty robust. in 3.5 years i have refilled over 220 ink carts, still refilling my original 4 CLI8's, never sealed, never flushed.

i try to keep it quick, easy and simple.

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MP980
Method: German Durchstich Method
Ink: Hobbicolors ink, PMT-BK, UW8
Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
jimbo123 said:
imuch of this is trial and error, the german refill method is pretty robust.
Precisely, jimbo123.

We all do/did a little "trial and error" method and the Durchstich methos is ROBUST. There are tolerances that allow for individual nuances in performing the task. This is why everyone seems to have their own spin on refilling which works for them. You'll find yours, OM2.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Have to admit I am giving some thought to Irv's idea of check valves as a sort of "refilling with stabilisers" for those who just want to be able to let go... Indeed there are quite a few more mature types out there who have noted that things like arthritis can make the process trickier than they'd like.

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
guys, all the replies are great education for me

but i disagree about 'finding my own way that suits me'

there has to be a right answer and there has to be a wrong answer
(of which there maybe more than one of each)

maybe the answer is: it just doesn't matter!
surely between us (especially u more experienced people) we should be able to write a set of rules that are set in stone

what works for one person - should work for all!!