German "Durchstich" refill method for the PGI-520/CLI-521 cartridges

Photofan1986

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP540, IP3000 dead :(
Thanks for your advice, guys! Unfortunately, I'll have to buy a new magenta OEM tank, as I do not have any other.

15kywalker

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Whats the difference between the 5th picture down and the 8th one down? In both it appears that he's waiting 1-2 minutes for the sponge to soak up the ink, and it seems that the 5th picture can be taken out and the guide would still make sense. Am I missing something?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi 15kywalker,

Consider the extra pictures as alternative depictions how the sponge can passively absorb the ink and to show you that the refill hole does not te be sealed. Just put it into your printer and it will work (after you reset the chip or disable the ink level status to overrule the low ink warnings).

jim

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I just purchased a PIXMA MX870 which uses the similar PGI-220/CLI-221 cartridges. I bought a refill kit with the resetter from inkproducts.com.

They included 18 gauge blunt needles. I see where some have used blunt needles, but is there anything I need to be aware of before refilling with this method?

I planned to use an electric drill to make the hole in the back. Do I need to track down some sewing needles to prepare the sponge, or will it be OK to try to slide the needle between the sponge and bottom of the cartridge? Could this damage the port on the bottom where the ink exits the cartridge? It would be a lot easier if these cartridges were clear, but they aren't :(.

They included some empty cartridges, but I understand the Canon cartridges are much better. Is there any risk of damage from using these if this "German method" doesn't work? They look very easy to refill.

Thank you.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
jim

If you plan to use the German method to refill your cartridges I wouldnt use a electric drill to pierce the outside of the cartridge as your drill bit will be liable to chew up some of the sponge inside. I suggest you go back and look at #1 where pharmacist shows how its done in great detail and if you follow his procedure everything will work out for you. Good luck..;)

jim

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The Hat said:
jim

If you plan to use the German method to refill your cartridges I wouldnt use a electric drill to pierce the outside of the cartridge as your drill bit will be liable to chew up some of the sponge inside. I suggest you go back and look at #1 where pharmacist shows how its done in great detail and if you follow his procedure everything will work out for you. Good luck..;)
Ok.. I'll find the awl and use that to make the hole. If anyone has any more advice on using the blunt needle, i would appreciate it... the sharp ones are hard to find and I'm not sure if they are even legal to posses in the nanny state that is North Carolina.

Should I partially fill one of the empty cartridges that came with my kit and install it without the chip to prevent anything from drying out in the print head, or is it fine to just remove the Canon cartridge and fill it up with no cartridge installed?

And finally, if anyone has more information on why the Canon cartridges are so much better than the ones with my inkproducts kit, I'd appreciate it. I know they have two sponges, but not sure why this is better. I am searching for more info on this but haven't found anything yet.

Thanks.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
jim said:
Ok.. I'll find the awl and use that to make the hole. If anyone has any more advice on using the blunt needle, i would appreciate it... the sharp ones are hard to find and I'm not sure if they are even legal to posses in the nanny state that is North Carolina.
A push pin or a heated paper clip will do the job. I use a push pin and push it in straight away, then rotate it at an angle to make the hole slightly larger, though still snug, to more easily accommodate my 18 guage needles. You'll figure out what is needed for your needles by trying an empty syringe with needle after poking the initial hole (before rotating the push pin at an angle to increase the hole diameter).

Should I partially fill one of the empty cartridges that came with my kit and install it without the chip to prevent anything from drying out in the print head, or is it fine to just remove the Canon cartridge and fill it up with no cartridge installed?
Not necessary since the procedure per cartridge will take you a couple to three minutes. If you take more than 10 minutes (or 15?), then the printer cartridge carriage will return to its parked position and you will need to close and then re-open the cover for the carriage to go back to the center for replacing/removing cartridges. Some keep a spare set of filled cartridges so they can hot swap quickly and keep printing without delays.

If you are going to take longer than 15-20 minutes, then maybe it would be wise to have the spare set of refilled cartridges available so as to not tempt issues with ink drying in the print head.

And finally, if anyone has more information on why the Canon cartridges are so much better than the ones with my inkproducts kit, I'd appreciate it. I know they have two sponges, but not sure why this is better. I am searching for more info on this but haven't found anything yet.
Besides top notch materials and construction, the tolerances are best calculated for optimal performance. It's the combination that makes the cartridges excellent. While probably not a Canon goal, the cartridges seem to be quite long lasting. Some members have refilled their cartridges dozens of times.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
jim said:
The Hat said:
jim

Here is a discussion on the pros and cons of using sharp vs blunt needles.
Later on in the same thread, I made a couple videos showing the whole German refill method which you can see by clicking on the links at this post.
jim said:

Thanks.
Here is one place where I discuss the reason for the two-sponge design being superior.

jim

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
Here is one place where I discuss the reason for the two-sponge design being superior.
Thanks for the information... this will all be very helpful. Now that I understand the original cartridges, I'm convinced on how they are better. The first Canon I had with individual cartridges (BJC-620, long gone) seemed to have a different design and I don't remember it having two sponges. The videos will help too.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I don't know about the BJC-620, but Canon started out with a single sponge in their cartridges and then later switched to the dual sponge. This ought to tell you something.