Firmware Update

caseysam

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP-2105
Hi, I have a small XP2105 that requires a firmware update. Not really a problem, but it states that printer has to be connected with a USB cable.
I haven't had one of these in years.
Does anyone if this is obligatory. Only reason I can think is that its insurance against wifi going down.
Grateful for any help.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
requires a firmware update
What or why is the update "required"?

A USB printer cable connection ensures the update proceeds without interruption - baring an electrical problem - so that your printer isn't bricked in the process.

Unless a firmware update fixes a specific problem you are experiencing or the firmware update has a new function your *must* have, then do NOT update your firmware. Same advice goes for your WiFi router.

If it ain't broke then don't fix it.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
You should be able to deactivate updates altogether via the driver, on the maintenance tab. Please post a screenprint for guidance if you can't find the right button, it varies between different drivers. Epson uses a separate piece of software - 'Epson software updater' - which gets started before the actual update takes place. It may show you as well pending updates for your other installed Epson software - the driver or print software like Epson Photo+ or an update to manuals. This updater software should give various options how updates can be handled - directly and automatic - or with prior information or not at all.

Last edited:

caseysam

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP-2105
Thanks, I agree about firmware, but just got a new mobile phone and smart panel won't connect
until I upgrade the firmware.
Bit the bullet this morning and updated over wifi. No problems yet
Thanks again