finding discontinued Canon parts for MX860

twcinnh

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx89* (*=?)
I've ordered the ink absorber pads from an online source after Canon told me it would be a long delay. Now, the new source said it looks like Canon is discontinuing the item. Anyone know a source, or something I can cut to substitute for the pads in the Canon MX860?

Is it possible to wash and dry the pads already in the printer, although I'd really like to start fresh. (I'd probably wash the old ones anyway just to have an extra pair.)

Thanks,

Tom

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
twcinnh said:
I've ordered the ink absorber pads from an online source after Canon told me it would be a long delay. Now, the new source said it looks like Canon is discontinuing the item. Anyone know a source, or something I can cut to substitute for the pads in the Canon MX860?

Is it possible to wash and dry the pads already in the printer, although I'd really like to start fresh. (I'd probably wash the old ones anyway just to have an extra pair.)

Thanks,

Tom
You can wash most of the ink out of your used pads fairly easy using warm water and any soap or washing up liquid,
then just rinse till the water is clean and your done,

Lie them flat on a piece of newspaper to dry out overnight then you can pop them back in to your printer next day.
I found it better not to have them completely dry as it helps to get them back in easier and prevents them shrinking..:)

twcinnh

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx89* (*=?)
Thank you, that's good to know. Wish me a clean and productive weekend.

Regards,

Tom C

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
twcinnh said:
Thank you, that's good to know. Wish me a clean and productive weekend.

Regards,

Tom C
At least you wont end up with a red face .. :lol: :gig

tomv80

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Any luck with this method? Did it work for you?

twcinnh

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx89* (*=?)
Actually the Canon pads arrived yesterday, but I do intend to wash them out anyway. (Believe it or not, Canon sent 2 sets of pads and now I'm waiting to see how I'm going to be billed.)

I have begun to try and take the printer apart, but I go slow with this type of thing, and after a day I put it back together (just to see if it would go). When my courage is back I'll try and go farther. It really isn't that difficult, it's just knowing what to do. I bought the Canon Service Manual, but some steps must seem obvious to others, not me yet.

Wish me courage and luck.

Tom C

twcinnh

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx89* (*=?)
My replacement of the MX860 absorber pads have been delayed by visiting daughters, but I'm back on it now. The absorber pads have been delivered and on the advice of the seller I've called the Canon 800 number for advice on installing them. However, Canon clearly dislikes the idea of me doing the work instead of them, and made the comment that 'special' tools are necessary.

I have a copy of the support manual and it said nothing about 'special tools', but it's clearly something for experienced technicians and not real clear to me. After a day spend with it I'm ready to try again. I've been taking it easy since my last PIXMA iPxxxx died when I tried a similar operation - I just gave up. I can provide time to substitute for experience.

The basic problem is finding how to remove the top, and that means finding where the tabs holding things together are so a 'special tool - screwdirver' goes into the right place. At least I got everything back together after my initial foray.

Any hints would be useful. It seems xray vision would help to see/anticipate where the levers are to release plastic covers etc.

Thanks,

Tom

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
twcinnh said:
Any hints would be useful. It seems xray vision would help to see/anticipate where the levers are to release plastic covers etc.
Try PM'ing forum member trigger 37. He may have a manual with detailed steps for what you want to do.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Hi twcinnh

I got your PM, but sadly I do not know the MX860 nor have the service manual for it, so I don't know how to disassemble it. Disassembling an all in one is much more difficult than disassembling a printer only machine, as you will also have to remove the scanner part. Be very careful with flexible ribbon cables and their connectors. If you accidentally break a connector, you will not be able to reattach the cable.

I looked for a free download of the service manual, but found none. A download can be bought from tradebit, but I think you have the manual already. Link here: http://ebookbrowse.com/gdoc.php?id=331795069&url=3772a8a5cd72f5df8194c089721a0ec1

If you succeed in changing the absorbers, you will need a reset tool to reset the waste ink counter. See this thread for a description of the service tool: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=51824#p51824 See post #4 for download link.

Good luck with the project
Peter.