Faulty JetTec BC6 catridges

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Ive been refilling carts for my Canon iP4000 for about 18 months now. I use two for each colour and alternate between them. Recently I had trouble with the magenta head clogging. Did the usual cleaning/soaking but found I could not completely clear the clogs. Bought a new head and everything was then OK.

After a run of 45 sheets of black text, I went to print a photo. I found the clog had returned on the magenta. I tried the second cart with no success so made up a cart with cleaner and did several head cleanings. That seemed to do the trick. I thought I now had trouble with the magenta carts and they would need purging, but decided it was quicker to buy two new carts.

I opted for JetTecs own brand. Put the first one in and did a head clean and nozzle check. No magenta anywhere on the paper. Tried the second cart same result. Obviously there was an ink feed problem. Examined the cart and saw that the foam at the outlet was recessed more than my other carts and thought it may not be touching the gauze pickup. Tapped the cart on a flat surface and that moved the foam to the normal level. Still no flow. Touched the outlet with paper towel and the ink wicked OK. Closer examination showed the carts had not been filled via the reservoir as others had. There was a steel ball covering a hole above the foam chamber, so I guess they were vacuum filled. There appeared to be no vent above the foam chamber so I drilled a small hole there. Still no flow.

Ive had to order carts from another supplier, but as there appears to be no obvious reason for the problem, I wonder whether anyone can shed some light?

tigerwan

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Were the magenta cartridges always JetTec? or did you switch to JetTec after the new head replacement? Thinking it could be bad ink. Also some compatible cartridges of this kind, don't tightly seal properly in the carriage, so you don't get good flow through the head. And one more thing I discovered sometimes the substrate is too tightly packed, and this hampers ink flow as well.

Ink In A Wink
http://inkinawink.myshopify.com

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
No, they weren't JetTec. I had been refilling using b&sprint ink that I had purchased about 18months ago. I have emailed b&sprint twice but no reply yet.

I upended the bottle of magenta ink and found there was a 'scum' adhering to the bottom of the bottle that would not drain down the sides. The other inks were OK. So in case this is an ageing problem I shall ditch my remaining stocks of their ink and find a new supplier.

I thought it better to throw out the carts and buy new ones, rather than try to clean them out. I've never used JetTec before but bought them from SVP who have a good reputation as suppliers. As soon as I contacted them about the problem, they gave me a full refund.

I emailed JetTec who suggested the heads needed cleaning. I pointed out that a cart from another supplier worked perfectly, so their carts were faulty, but no answer yet so clearly they don't want to know.

Meanwhile I'm using 'Think' replacement magenta carts from Choice Stationary Supplies. No problems with them so far.