EPSON printer hack over UART

apetitphoto

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-3620 , Epson wf-7210
Not surprising. If you check the software license section of the manuals you will find that most of these, if not all, run an arm version of the Linux operating system, with busybox as the shell. So, if you have a way into the terminal serial interface you can see lots of stuff and do all kinds of "damage."

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
After you root your Epson you can then install Kodi and print movies. :lol:

apetitphoto

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
After you root your Epson you can then install Kodi and print movies. :lol:
I don't think they're fast enough to print flip books in real time. But imagine a 30 page per second color printer (yeah, I've seen some of those high end beasts, and you really want to be careful where you put your hands!)

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I know EPSON's run ARM and Linux, but I never thought they have shell easy to get to.
Because if that's so on all models then perhaps the question should be why PrintFAB a commercial but the only easy to use small printer RIP does not have better control of the printers ink channels?

The Chinese WhiteRIP has individual channel controls.

Last edited:

apetitphoto

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
I know EPSON's run ARM and Linux, but I never thought they have shell easy to get to.
Because if that's so on all models then perhaps the question should be why PrintFAB a commercial but the only easy to use small printer RIP does not have better control of the printers ink channels?

The Chinese WhiteRIP has individual channel controls.
A very different question...

Just because something uses Linux as the kernel, and has a shell, does not mean that the internal functioning is fully exposed. A Linux kernel and a shell are for development convenience. Busybox is a limited shell that you may be able to use to add functionality, or if you understand the underlying system modify that functionality.

It comes down to how much time, effort, and legal hassle you want to deal with. Yes, I did use the word "legal" because the parts of the software that control what you're interested are not public domain. This is one of the common misconceptions about GPL software: That if one piece is GPL all parts are.

Can it be done? Yes.
Is it worth the effort? Probably not for a company that has a working relationship with Epson.