Epson 835 AIO, please recommend what CIS system is best

wchang

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi all!

I recently purchased a new Epson artisan 835. Great printer, however after looking into purchasing new ink for this printer it is so expensive for OEM cartridges. I did a brief research on CIS but I am not sure which is the best system to go with. Are the ones on Ebay good? How does a CIS syste, work? If I run out of ink for one of the cartridges do I just refill the tank and hit the reset button? Will the cable get in the way when I am printing?

I mostly print documents and CD disks. I do not really print any photos. Thank you!

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
If you don't print often enough you might end up clogging the print head. Make sure you print a full color document at least once a week, it's especially important with these types of printers because of the remotely located cartridges. Almost all CISS systems are the same but you definitely want a CISS with the reset button. ARC chips don't usually work well with newer Epsons. As for quality the biggest difference is ink quality, with that said I'm really happy with my cheap CISS from aaadealalways from ebay. The cable shouldn't get in the way because the Artisan 835 has fixed remote cartridges. With CISS you never "run out" of ink per se the printer just thinks you do, the cartridges themselves always stay full and are constantly filled by the external tanks.

wchang

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
What is an ARC chip? I thought that was a reset button.

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Automatic reset. It will reset to full when the cartridge is removed.

wchang

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Also, can you explain to me how the reset process goes? IF the ink in continuous and I keep on refilling the tank to keep it full when do I need to his the reset button?

I am currently using the ink cartridge that came with my printer. I should use up most of the ink first before switching over to the CIS system right? Also, how is the quality of print from a CIS system compare to an OEM? Thank you!

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
When you are using a CIS system your printer thinks that it still has normal cartridges installed. As you print the "ink level" will decrease as normal, except with a reset button CIS system when the printer shows "ink empty" you just press the reset button and your ink level will show full again ad if new cartridges had been installed.

The print quality depends largely upon the quality of ink that you put in the system.

P

printfan1138

Check in with Ross Hardie in InkJetCarts, you can't go wrong. Not only does he have the very best cis systems and refillable carts but he is very good about giving advice and he sure does know what he's talking about after over 30 years in the printing business. I don't work for him but I did a lot of research before I found this outfit and I will hang onto him for as long as he and I are around the planet and still printing!

macattak1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Did you get a CIS? Think I have decided to go with the Artisan 835. Just not sure if I want CIS or not.
In another thread Websnail mentioned Damper systems without CIS which may be the way to go to start. Not sure.

Peace and Blessings
Mac