Do the PG540 & CL541 cartridges need to be reset?

Crimea

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I hope this isn't too newbie a request for help. I'd be grateful for any advice.

I last looked here into resetting chips on Canon cartridges about 3 years ago, but I guess everything has changed since then.

I'm in the market for cheap Canon Pixma MFP, as I primarily need the fax facility, but all the ones I've seen use the PG540 & CL541 cartridges and I can't find any mention of them on here.

I've seen some instructions on refilling them, but I can't quite fathom if the chips would need to be reset, if I wanted to reuse them. I presume they would, like all the others, but nothing comes up on Google.

Can anyone point me where to go?

Thanks.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
These cartridges cannot be reset, as no resetters exist for them. But you can disable ink monitoring to print with refilled cartridges. Here is an instruction for refilling some older Canon cartridges of this type, and disabling ink monitoring. The PG540 and CL541 are similar, only the capacity might be different: http://www.druckerchannel.de/artikel.php?ID=1629&seite=1&t=refill_anleitung_fuer_canon_kombipatronen or a Google translation: http://translate.google.dk/translat...1&t=refill_anleitung_fuer_canon_kombipatronen

The printers using these cartridges are entry level, the cartridges are small and more difficult to refill than the single ink tanks used in the more expensive printers. I recommend looking for a printer using the PGI-525/CLI-526 cartridge set. These opaque cartridges can also be refilled and resetters are available. To make refilling easier you can use the windowed PGI-520/CLI-521 cartridges with the PGI-525/CLI-526 chips attached.

Avoid the newest printers using the PGI-550/CLI-551 cartridges, as no resetter exists for these cartridges (yet?).

Crimea

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks.

I'll see if there are any older Canon fax printers in the UK, in the 50 - 80 range I was considering.

If not, it'll have to be Pixma MX435 or MX455.

Pixmaker

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Gentlemen:

I've been using ip4000 printers for years. . .what a great machine! But now, it seems that parts and machines are fading rapidly from the marketplace. Therefore, I'm trying to decide which printer to use and have settled on either the MG5420 or the MG6320. Refilling capability is absolutely essential. . . the easier, the better. I've been refilling the iP4000 for about 5 years with very few problems and excellent results. . . so I'm not a refill newbie. I am concerned about getting a machine which uses transparent ink tanks for ease of refilling but can't seem to nail down which tanks to get for which machine. Also, I would really like to have the "Ink Low" warnings because without them, it's too easy to burn out a print head. Can anyone tell me the preferred machine plus what tanks to buy? If there is agreement that a different machine from what I suggest is a better choice, that's finetoo.
I don't mind buying Canon tanks (more expensive) but better for refilling. I'm confused about getting tanks with a chip to use the warning circuits or when to use a chip resetter or which tank will fit in which machine or which tank to use as a substitute or which tank even needs a resetter.

Altogether, I need someone to tell me, for example, "Get this machine and buy these tanks to use in it. You will (or will not) need a resetter. I simply want a decent machine, transparent tanks chips as needed (or not needed) and I'll be a most happy camper. . . printing away! I know it's asking a lot but will really appreciate the info.

The bottom line is simply. . . I'd use the ip4000 forever but it doesn't seem to be such a great idea any more.

With appreciation for your knowledge,

Pixmaker

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The two printers that you picked out are not very suitable for refilling at this point of time
(MG5420 & MG6320); I would therefore say they are not for you.

Here is a link to the various printers that are easy to refill and there are still some of them available.
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=58849#p58849

Now if I was looking for a new printer and I was State side I would definitely get a Pro 100,
simply because it is by far the cheapest and the best printer baring none, in fact an excellent all rounder,
and if I had to make the choice I get two or three of them.

After rebate it will cost you $89 and there is nothing else around at that price,
you cant even get a set of OEM cartridges for most printers at that price..:)