Diagnosing Nozzle Check

postitnote

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I just got a used ip4300. When I print photos, it looks like there are uneven streaks of brightness. I attached my nozzle check. Does it look right? (other than the pigment black)

dl.dropbox.com/u/126932/Image%20%284%29.jpg

The light cyan and light magenta show up, it's just too light to see in the scan.

(Sorry I can't post links because I'm new. You'll have to copy and paste)

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Based on your nozzle check appearance, it's difficult to tell what exactly the problem is. A "service test print" is a way better way to diagnose printhead issues. You can try cleaning the printhead using Original Windex (the stuff with ammonia) based in the techniques described in many posts here.

Go here for instructions to get the service test print instructions:

http://www.gondack.com.ar/media/useruploads/files/ip4300-ssm.pdf

then repost the result. It should print a grid similar to the Pigment Ink test for each color, showing every single color nozzles' performance.

I had a similar streaking problem with an i960, that was only solved by installing a new printhead. In my experience, the cheapest source is Canon Service/parts (look up the 800 number). There are still some listed on eBay (get a NEW one before the supply is exhausted, as Canon probably doesn't make them anymore)!

Wayne

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
There is definitely a problem in the dye black channel of the print head, which gets ink from CLI-8bk cartridge. You can try to clean the print head for all 5 channels by soaking it in a 5 mm deep cleaning fluid of Windex. Remember to pour some of the cleaning fluid over the top inlet of each channel too. This will get most of the ink inside the print head and the passage from the inlet down th the actual print head nozzles. But it is likely there will be some ink already dried up and become quite solid and difficult to flush out. You may need to soak for an hour or two.

There are other techniques to more effectively clean the print head that involves high risks to the print head. Someone may come out to tell you not to soak the print head. I have done soaking of Canon print heads from almost 10 years ago and never had a single problem. There is a risk in doing it no doubt. Doing anything that is not recommended by Canon involves risks. I have not found any way to unclog a print head without taking it out and give it some soaking.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Soaking anything electrical in liquid will always carry a risk, however allowing the head electronic bits to dry off will give a good chance of success.

In a an earlier life ( many years ago) I repaired movie cameras (16 and 35 mm) and it was not uncommon to get one ithat had fallen in the sea! The first thing we did was to immerse it in a bath of plain cold water to flush away the salt, then strip and clean the major parts. We had a high degree of success in part attributable to proper drying of the components, and in particular the printed circuits boards.

This is of course difficult with a print head because we cannot let it dry off too long otherwise the nozzles are in danger of clogging again :(

As Tin Ho says, with a printhead keep the level of fluid well under the PCB and you are likely to get away with it.

Good luck.

postitnote

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks. I ran the check:

dl.dropbox.com/u/126932/Image%205.jpg

I don't get the grid like the pigment black part though. What did you see in the black dye part?

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Your test print didn't print as I expected it to, BUT, it's a different printer than mine, so canon is allowed to vary the appearance. If you look closely, the lines on the color tests stagger downward every 1/4" or so (as if only every 8th nozzle is firing while the head sweep`s across the page and increments firing the nozzles in groups downward).

I would expect the pattern to look identical and even with every downward increment, but you can see the spacing is not even in many locations. It's as if the ink is being deposited in the wrong place on the paper, which causes "fine streaking" in photo printing. If I'm understanding your service print correctly, that is...

Mis-directed ink as the exact issue I had with my i960's printhead. All nozzles fired, but the pattern was incorrect! No matter how many times I cleaned the printhead, I experienced no change. Only renewing the printhead worked. The old printhead apparently had "worn out"

That said, I'd attempt cleaning it as described above first. If things don't improve, get a new printhead...

Wayne

postitnote

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Looks like any kind of cleaning I did (soaking in windex, rinsing under water) didn't fix the problem (no change in nozzle check). Are there any indications that it may be the printer itself that is defective, before I go buy a new printhead?

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Only one way to find out imo...install a new printhead...

Wayne

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
It doesn't look to me like you have any serious problem with the nozzles on your print head. Based on your extended nozzle check from post #5, it looks to me like your yellow is contaminated with some other colors. I would suggest that you remove your yellow cartridge and blot some ink out of it onto a paper towel and see what color it is. If it's not yellow, then it has gotten contaminated. Try another yellow cartridge, do a cleaning and see if that fixes your problem.