Cost for Photos on iP4500

hceuterpe

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out the print page count one can get with a set of cartridges. I own a Canon PIXMA iP4500.

Text pages are about 3 cents, and full color page is 4 cents. However I know for a fact that photographs on like the Canon Photo Paper Plus II 69lbs paper will consume much more (several times even??) than a typical 20lb paper, so there's got to be no way plain paper can hold as much of that ink without it getting saturating and the ink bleeding, right? I'm sure a full photo paper is higher than the 3 or 4 cents, especially considering the % coverage Canon rates the 4 cent is very low. So to me, those values seem meaningless. I also use mostly laser printing on plain paper anyway.
I guess it's hard to get a cost per print if you mix in paper types so I've never been able figure this out.

So for anyone that has tried, how many 4x6 (or any other given size) have you gotten, if you have ever 1) Install/refilled a fresh set of CLI-8 cartridges (I have a iP4500 printer, and just printed out tons of photos on all the same type of photo paper (no plain 20lb paper)? How many prints did you get before the ink ran out? I know even with a whole series, that the colors may not have been split evenly, and that I'm sure one cartridge went out before the others, but at least a rough estimate would help.

Thanks.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Ink consumption depends on printer / paper setting, not on paper, as the printer do not recognize the paper, only the setting.
Photos consume in fact MUCH more ink than text pages, about 5-10 times, it is like printing full color fields versus lines.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
hceuterpe I'm trying to figure out the print page count one can get with a set of cartridges. I own a Canon PIXMA iP4500.
The best way is to refill and not worry about the cost of OEM ink in the first place.
martin0reg Photos consume in fact MUCH more ink than text pages, about 5-10 times, it is like printing full color fields versus lines.
Photos on glossy paper do use more ink that text print but photos on plain paper drink the stuff..:)

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
I think there is a document on Red Rivers site, that estimates ink usage for different page sizes but I don't have a link at the moment.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Treasure that IP4500 because when it gives out you're not gonna like the replacements. Several Canon generations have already past and each one of them got worse and worse. I'm an Epson fan myself. Once you go CISS there's no going back. Both have low ink costs but CISS has far less hassles.