Computer designed for Photoprocessing?

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
The processor in the rig i mentioned (i7-4930K) benchmarks near to 3x the speed of your current CPU the Graphics card benchmarks near to 2x the speed.

The biggest things for photoshop according to the person i spoke to is CPU clout, RAM amount and speed. The i7 in his rig is basically only beaten by a rare i7-X series chip and Xeon processors. The amount of RAM 64 Gig what he currently has with the possibility to go even higher i am not even sure you can fit in many common socket 1150/1155 systems MAX is normally 32 or 64 Gig in them at most (they normally only have 2 or 4 ram slots) To run 64 Gig it would have to be a four memory slot system (16gig x 4 sticks), unless you find superb rare 2 slot board which takes and 32Gig sticks to do 32gig x 2 sticks.

As to difference an upgrade like the system i mentioned would make...... Well IMO not a lot unless you are using Photoshop to a near or at a professional level. It will be total overkill if you are just a hobbyist like most of us probably are and not worth the thousands in investment (IMO anyway). Only you will know how serious a system and your use is.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
At 3,000 quid I am staring :ep at around A$6000:ep:ep

I am thinking more like A$3-4,000......BUT, fear not, armed with the spec above, a large baseball bat and an electric cattle prod i will start visiting computer builders:smack

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I can understand the cattle prod for an extra power boost but the baseball bat, I’m not too sure I reckon it might knacker up your DVD writer.. :hit

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I can understand the cattle prod for an extra power boost but the baseball bat, I’m not too sure I reckon it might knacker up your DVD writer.. :hit

Well da ladies wear a fascinator to da races, da baseball bat is da MALE version of da ting. Da IT Geek is fascinated by da bat see dat keeps his attention on da quad cores,stops him overckocking, while the salesman writes to a scratch disk I access 32gigaRAM AN GET MEGABYTES FOR FREE!

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
At 3,000 quid I am staring :ep at around A$6000:ep:ep

I am thinking more like A$3-4,000......BUT, fear not, armed with the spec above, a large baseball bat and an electric cattle prod i will start visiting computer builders:smack

May still be worth checking prices in your area of the globe. I dunno how prices are for Aussie dollars but in the US the exchange rate seems to rarely apply on computer gear (or certainly not to the extent of what the REAL exchange rate for money is).

Something that is £100 here in terms of computer bits can often end up being only $100 (or very close to it) out in the US. A good example last time i looked was the new PS4, about $400 in the USA in the UK though its around £350-£400..... Technically if (taking the middle figure average) of £375 here out in the US if the exchange rate was bang on for a PS4 it should be costing around $620, but it does not (amazon.com US site has it for $399)

Exchange rate hardly applies at all for many electronics like this, may be the same out in Australia.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
May still be worth checking prices in your area of the globe. I dunno how prices are for Aussie dollars but in the US the exchange rate seems to rarely apply on computer gear (or certainly not to the extent of what the REAL exchange rate for money is).

Something that is £100 here in terms of computer bits can often end up being only $100 (or very close to it) out in the US. A good example last time i looked was the new PS4, about $400 in the USA in the UK though its around £350-£400..... Technically if (taking the middle figure average) of £375 here out in the US if the exchange rate was bang on for a PS4 it should be costing around $620, but it does not (amazon.com US site has it for $399)

Exchange rate hardly applies at all for many electronics like this, may be the same out in Australia.

Yep! agree, AND just at the moment sales are a bit flat, folks are hanging on to their money and not spending, so there is a bit of pressure to sell which will work in my favour.
Thanks heaps for your input, MUCH appreciated
Andrew

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Please don’t talk about the exchange rates, because I buy all my computer hardware from the UK and the £ have been at an all time high against the € for the past 9 months.:hit

I find getting stuff in from the US at great prices so long as I can get it through the USPS, its swings and roundabouts depending on where you live, the $ rate to the € is smashing..:)

Last edited:

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Please don’t talk about the exchange rates, because I buy all my computer hardware from the UK and the £ have been at an all time high against the € for the past 9 months.:hit

I find getting stuff in from the US at great prices so long as I can get it through the USPO, its swings and roundabouts depending on where you live, the $ rate to the € is smashing..:)

If you want cheap bits and bobs order from a well known source in china, somewhere like dealextreme, although be prepared for customs to play stab and shred your parcel to bits and bill you for the kind gesture afterwards.

I used to order loads of cheap bits (USB gadgets, cases, other knick knack electrical bits hard to get in the UK etc) from places like dealextreme until every other parcel it seemed had been *COUGH* inspected by customs and left in a state similar to a ball of wool after a cat had played with it, so i do not bother anymore. Never had anything not arrive though, but can take 4-6 weeks on some stuff.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I tried ordering 3880 chip resetter from China, seller would not ship without home and mobile numbers. Got to them via Alibaba........big mistake, my email is overflowing with offers from all manner of companies ever since.
I refused to supply my details and ended up in a dispute/claim. Got my money back ok but they screwed around for weeks, just not worth it.
I purchase direct from sellers in the USA, 100% no problems EVER.

HOWEVER, I will only purchase computer / electrical goods onshore for the compliance certificate. MANY items out of China are straight out dangerous to use due to shoddy quality control.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hang on a minute, because I found the complete opposite in my dealing with Alibaba and they do offer a 100% guarantee that you won’t get ripped off.

As for Emails coming in from companies in China are concerned well if you don’t read and uncheck the boxes when visiting these sites ! but you can get them from anywhere, an easy mistake to make. (Just like Amazon)

Nearly everything you buy these days comes out of China and it usually does what it says on the pack, I’ve not had a problem with their quality, it’s what happens to the stuff that’s rejected is a bigger concern.

Chinese companies have become aware of the extra duty/taxes that some countries are charging so a lot of them are now shipping through Singapore by post instead of Couriers to avoid the extra costs to their customers.. :)