Communication Issue? Mp990

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
ok here is the setup (it has been working fine for several years) desktop w/win7 64 bit, laptop win7 maybe 32 bit not sure. the MP990 is connected to the desktop via usb, the laptop is conncted to the wireless router, and the MP990 is connected to the router via the wireless connection, i can no longer print from the laptop, when i attempt to print from the laptop the process starts then stalls with the 1st page and i have to cancel the print job, when i try to print a test page from the laptop the same thing happens, every thing is fine from the desktop, i know in the past when reinstalling a printer that there is a specific procedure to remove the printer, and i can not locate the procedure, possibly this is the issue as one fix i tried was to remove the printer and reinstall via a download from canon. ok lets hear some thoughts

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
I have had a similar problem with a MP620 and mostly now use a USB cable to which computer I am using. However 1 way I tried was to go to devices and printers select NEW DEVICE not printer the program should find your printer( it must be switched on ) If found it may be labelled MP990 WS . Select that one when on laptop use.

No guarantee it may work

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
yep i tried several times to remove and reinstall, to no avail, when i use the usb cable everything is good, i did notice that when the usb is connected another mp990 shows up that is labeled copy. so the drivers are good. but if i try wireless the best i can get is 75% of the 1st page, canon replied to uninstall reinstall. this time i am going to remove anything that is canon, then just install the printer with drivers no software i hope it works

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
It sounds a bit strange that it worked before for you but not now ?

Have you changed anything in your surroundings (Environment) new mobile phones or micro ovens or other Wi-Fi router and printer devices any or all of these things can cause a drop out of the signal on you..

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
yeah i can not really recall anything changing, but that is a possibilty that i am going to have to look at much closer

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Have you tried going into settings/device settings/LAN settings where a list of options like wireless LAN settings followed by wireless LAN list plus others on my MP620 and the last one reset LAN settings

IanYY

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Your problem could be due to a poor quality wireless connection between the printer and the router, causing signal dropouts.

You can check the signal quality using Canon's "IJ Network Tool".

This may be installed already on your PC (Try Start -> All Programs -> Canon Utilities -> IJ Network Tool). Do not confuse it with the "IJ Network Scan Utility". If you haven't got it, download and install the latest drivers from http://www.canon.com and the IJ Network Tool will be installed at the same time as the drivers.

When the IJ Network Tool is running, click on your printer to select it, then click View -> Status. Then click the "Advanced Measurement" box for a more detailed analysis.

Ian

Edit - Better Link - http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppo...ixma_mp_series/pixma_mp990#DriversAndSoftware

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
ok we are back up and running, this afternoon i lost my connection to the modem (don't know why), i reset the modem, and pinged the pinter and gateway with zero loss, and printing is back to normal, there must have been an issue with the modem, if this ever happens again the first thing i will do is to reboot the modem

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
It’s good you got it back working again, happy printing. :cool:

Yes giving the modem a good boot usually works.. :lol: