Clog/Unclogging experience with purge unit, Canon MP730

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
My wife's MP730 started streaking badly with Pigment Black, even though nozzle tests showed a good grid.

Using refilled OEM carts with Hobbicolors PMT ink.

Cleaned the printhead with windex, and BLACK stopped working on nozzle check.....switched carts, same deal, even after several deep cleans via driver. Suspected purge unit problem.

Disassembled unit per:

http://newsquaremusic.com/MP730aug2008.html

All purge hose attachments found secure visually. Purge waste pads only 30% stained, but found deep pool of black gel in purge discharge well at bottom waste pad.

Popped peristaltic purge pump out of purge unit. Found black pumping tube totally clogged with black gel. Also had to ream out small hole iwhere black purge hose attaches to pump housing, as that small hole was clogged solid, too. Purge parking pad hose to pump was found clear. Cleaned all up.

Removed bottom waste pad and cleaned it until hot wash water ran clear. Pad was clogged with black gel.

Waiting for everything to dry before re-assembly. Will report back on results.

Wayne

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You are confirming what I learned in my pigment ink clogging test where I discovered that Hobbicolors pigment black ink would cause the problem you are experiencing. You are the third or fourth person to have been hit by this ink. I've tried to sound the warning every time the subject of Hobbicolors ink came up but I guess you missed it.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
How long, or how many refills, have you been using Hobbicolors PMT? How old is the ink? Wonder how much your low humidity might promote this problem.

Superior job of cleaning up the issue, turboguy! Look forward to a successful resolution.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Probably about about 2 dozen refills of Hobbicolors PMT switching between 2 OEM carts over 3 years, top fill method using squeeze bottle. Ink less than 2 years old. Hard to say if atmospheric conditions are contributing factor. I do reside at 7400' elevation, though....

I'm switching to Precision Colors ink. Just ordered it. I've got several dozen "virgin" Canon empty carts from eBay, so I'm set there.

Found new waste pads (all 5) and ordered them too. WHAT A MESS TO CLEAN THEM UP! I'm considering installing a REAL waste bottle, of drilling a big hole in the bottom of the unit at the well and putting the unit in a tray with paper towel diapers, and to HECK with the "absorbers". Anybody do that??

Also, to dry out "cleaned" absorbers, I use a microwave oven to drive out residual moisture. Seems to work (I keep a cup of water in the oven when doing so, so there's always a load on the magnetron tube). Then air dry for an hour or so.

Wayne

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
turbguy said:
I do reside at 7400' elevation, though....
I don't know if it still says this, but there was a sign on the wall as you leave the visitor's lockerroom to go to the pool that said: "Altitude 7250 feet. How's your oxygen debt?"

Sneaky pistelero-packing Cowboys.

Go Brown and Gold! :woot

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Saw that sign this spring...it's still there.

Also, "Welcome to 7220 feet"

Wayne

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
turbguy said:
Saw that sign this spring...it's still there.
Good things never go out of style.

Nice photos on your website. I see that we are kindred spirits of sorts in that we are from the same area and went west to the same area. Mine happened many years ago and I've since returned to the Mid-West. How Laramie must be changed by now! The Snowy Mountains still look as terrific as they did in my day.

It is a small world.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
REPORTING BACK!

After re-assembling the MP730 printer, it prints as good as it used to! No more black text streaking! Switching to PC inks when they arrive (and will use a cart full of windex to flush out the Hobbicolors PMT from the guts. I figure that a couple days use won't hurt....

Wayne

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You can override the detrimental effects of Hobbicolors (and the older Inktec) pigment inks by using Windex to keep the flow going through the purge system but you don't want to do it too long because you will hasten the day that you get the dreaded Waste Ink Tank full message.