Cli 8 Saturated sponge

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
I don't know if this way is doing the job but once I held the overfilled cartridge over the sink & I blew through the air maze to clear it of ink which forced ink down & out through the outlet opening on the bottom. Before when I had ink in the air maze I just got the ink out of the cartridge & flushed it out.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
How are you guys getting the cartridges so full? The top fill method requires that the vent be sealed, you know. And it's hard to seal perfectly.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
ThrillaMozilla I agree why try and sqeeze every drop in. I follow The Hats advice and my problems greatly decreased. Anyway you are saving loads on your refills so if you have to do it more frequently its no great problem. Mind you Milkling advocates filling right up, but he knows what he is doing.

barfl2 [

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
No, it's OK to fill the cartridge full, but it's not OK to oversaturate the sponge. Mikling's procedure should work if you do it right, but it might not work if you seal the vent poorly.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
ThrillaMozilla No, it's OK to fill the cartridge full, but it's not OK to oversaturate the sponge.
You may be right with your answer but others on here have totally different opinions on it too..:)

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
As I'm learning more about the internal workings of a cartridge I can safely refill the ink chamber to full using the German method without one drop of ink being released from the cartridge. With the top fill method I can't fill the ink chamber to full without over saturating the sponges & in danger of having ink come out of the air maze because I haven't been able to seal the air maze properly. Mike can seal the air maze & can get a full refill but for my skill level the German method has turned out to be fool proof for me.

hceuterpe

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ThrillaMozilla said:
How are you guys getting the cartridges so full? The top fill method requires that the vent be sealed, you know. And it's hard to seal perfectly.
Not when you have dried flushed cartridges, and you over zealously try to get the sponge saturated thinking that's necessary and leave the tape off. Not only did I do that, I left the clip off for a good part of it.

I sucked out quite a bit of ink from the sponge at the port to the point there was a definitely gradient and I also did the suggestion on flipping it upside-down with the clip on and squeezing. It seems like it's easier to over-saturate a dry flushed cartridge when you refill it vs one that already has ink in the sponge from a previous fill. I followed the directions precisely for the yellow and mikling's top fill instructions, and that almost still happened.