CLI-8 refills - Ink permanence vs. accuracy vs. gamut

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
martin0reg said:
.. many photographs are given to friends .. who are taping it to refrigerators ..
To get me right: consider this as the most demanding example for durability and color accuracy - as the given person don't have any backup, the photo might be important, and it is exposed both to gas/ozone and light/UV ...

strobemonkey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Grandad35 said:
I know that this is probably "over the top", but I wanted to make the point that what most people refer to as "color accuracy" is really "the color that I remember in my mind's eye", and that each of us will have a different idea of what those colors are.

I have been using 3rd party ink to refill for several years with a custom printer profile, and am quite pleased with the results. Without a custom profile, this would not be the case.
Thanks for the explanation. This is why I asked a few weeks ago if I buy a printer/monitor calibrator, will I get a good result as close to using OEm inks with OEM papers.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
strobemonkey said:
Thanks for the explanation. This is why I asked a few weeks ago if I buy a printer/monitor calibrator, will I get a good result as close to using OEm inks with OEM papers.
Buy the monitor calibrator (about $150-200), as you have to recalibrate your monitor every month or so (once/week is recommended) and it must be done on your monitor. A spectrophotometer based profiling system for a printer is far more expensive and it is usually a better choice to have your printer profiles created by a profiling service because you can print the targets on your printer and mail them in. Some people use a less expensive scanner based printer profiling system. Their results are acceptable for some people, but not all.

tony22

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Grandad35, do you know anything about the Canon Color Management Tool Pro software which is offered for free on their website? It seems to be made for an Eye-One Display 2 device. Not a spectrophotometer to be sure, but I wonder if it would be better than a scanner?

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
tony22 said:
Grandad35, do you know anything about the Canon Color Management Tool Pro software which is offered for free on their website? It seems to be made for an Eye-One Display 2 device. Not a spectrophotometer to be sure, but I wonder if it would be better than a scanner?
I had never heard of this software package before, but I found it here (http://www.canon-europe.com/For_Hom...s/Pixma_Pro9000/Color_Management_Tool_Pro.asp). Under Step 3 it says:
"The measuring instrument used is the X-Rite Eye-One Series (excluding Eye-One Display 2 and Eye-One monitor)."
To the best of my knowledge, the Eye-One is always a spectrophotometer. The Display 2 is a colorimeter, and the wording specifically excludes this device.

If you have an Eye-one, you probably already have the printer profiling software. If you managed to find one without the software, the Canon package would be worth trying.

tony22

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Grandad35 said:
"The measuring instrument used is the X-Rite Eye-One Series (excluding Eye-One Display 2 and Eye-One monitor)."
Hmm, the Canon USA site does not make that sort of clear distinction. It says "Eye-One series including Eye-One Pro". Kind of makes it sound a little like other Eye-One models might work. Or maybe not.