CLI-526 TopFill

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
Although it is better to move the chips from 526 to 521 (525 to 520) and refill the windowed cartridges, the CLI-526 and PGI-525 can be refilled using any of the methods specific to this type of cartridge. My personal choice is the Top Filling Method.

Because my printer has a clearance problem I used a low profile plug (bought from OctoInkjet) and aluminium tape (just to be extra safe :) ). Clip and resetter also from OctoInkjet.

1. Preparing the cartridge for Top Filling:

a. <--- click to enlarge

b. <--- click to enlarge

c. <--- click to enlarge

d. <--- click to enlarge

e. <--- click to enlarge

2. Purging and drying (if needed):

a. <--- click to enlarge

b. <--- click to enlarge

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5382

3. Refilling:

a. <--- click to enlarge
A cartridge with enough ink in the sponge and empty ink chamber weighs 15,8g (without clip). Measure the weight of the cartridge you want to refill ( x grams). In this step you will need to fill with 15,8-x ml of ink and let the cartridge sit for 1-2 minutes.
Here's an Excel calculator, if you use syringes: http://rapidshare.com/files/967513830/Refill calculator.xls . All you have to do is input the weight of the cartridge to be refilled in the "Initial weight without clip" column and you get the amount of ink needed for the sponge.

b. <--- click to enlarge

c. <--- click to enlarge

d. <--- click to enlarge

e. <--- click to enlarge

Cartridge weight before refill (label off, ball removed, flushed, dryed) - 10,8 g
Cartridge weight after refill (with plug and aluminium tape) - 20,1 g

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Lovely job Tudor, now we have the Top fill method for Opaque carts. :thumbsup
One thing dough can you edit your thread to include the resetting of the chip before commencing the refill procedure..

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
If you mean pictures... that ship has sailed. :) It is mentioned in the post, though.
I'll look later to see if I find another untouched 526M and include pictures of the reset. Maybe some with the purge and drying. Thanks for the input!

Ok, done!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Excellent instructions! :thumbsup

May I suggest one small edit? In the last picture I think the text should be:"Remove the clay, the clip and install" When inserting the plug with the vent covered, a small positive pressure might be created inside the cartridge. Removing the clay before removing the clip releases this possible pressure and minimizes the risk of the cartridge spilling a drop or two of ink when removing the clip.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
OK Tudor,
I have also bookmark it for further use for anyone who requests instructions on the Opaque Cartridges.
We now have the full set, Top fill, German fill, Freedom fill, and Opaque fill.. :thumbsup

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I flushed, dried and refilled a set using the top fill method and noticed that the cartridges were underfilled. Probably because they were too dry. The method, as presented above, is not complete and it will need some more tweaking.

By using a scale and repeatedly filling the cartridges I got them to 20.5 gr, which is more than ok for top filling.

Maybe using syringes is a better idea. With squeeze bottles you have no idea how much ink you inject.

L.E. The first post was modified since.

The pigment black PGI-525 refused to take ink when dry so I overfilled it using "the freedom method" and got it to 35 gr. I expect that on next refill I will be able to use top fill with this one.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
You should not place the modeling clay over the vent/air inlet hole so soon when you refill.

Remember that the printer uses ink from the sponge first until certain level, before the printer start to use ink from the ink chamber. So there is certain depletion of ink from the sponge.

The vent/air inlet hole will facilitate the sponge and ink exchange from the ink chamber. So one should allow a few ml to be absorb by the sponge by leaving the vent/air inlet hole open. This is so that ink could be absorb by the sponge and air could enter the ink chamber, as air become the downward pressure and then after the sponge had absorb a few ml of ink, use finger or thumb or as you like modeling clay to cover the vent/air inlet hole to stop/reduce the rate at which the sponge absorb the ink, and also so that the ink chamber could then be fill up with ink.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
@lin:
The idea was to not overfill the sponge. If you read the writing on the pictures you will find these steps:
a. Close the vent with the clay;
b. Unplug the refill hole (if plugged), fill the ink chamber and plug it;
c. Remove the clay and wait 2 minutes for the sponge to absorb as much ink as it needs. You can wait longer, but 2 minutes should be enough.

If needed you can repeat steps b and c until the cartridge reaches a weight of 20-20.5 gr.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
my point at #7 was exactly not too overfill as you don't want to cause oversaturation. Otherwise why did I mentioned the need to use finger, thumb or whatever to cover up the vent/air inlet hole to stop or reduce the rate at which sponge absorb the ink.

You need to allow first a couple of ml of ink to be absorb by the sponge without the vent/air inlet cover as you refill. Then after the sponge had absorb a few ml of ink, use finger or thumb or as you like modeling clay to cover the vent/air inlet hole to stop/reduce the rate at which the sponge absorb the ink, and also so that the ink chamber could then be fill up with ink. Then seal the refill hole with plug, with hot glue or whatever.

The vent/air inlet hole should not be cover up so soon. Covering the vent/air inlet hole should not be at the initial stage of refill. That is to say, Vent/air inlet hole should not cover up at the first point as you inject ink into the ink chamber. Just allow a couple of ml to be absorb into the sponge. It will not cause oversaturation or too much ink get into the sponge, as you are using your fingers to regulate the air that get exchange with the ink at the ink chamber as the sponge absorb the ink. After the sponge had absorb a couple of ml (depending on the size of your cartridge 1ml/2ml/3ml etc), then with the fingers or whatever as you like cover the vent/air inlet hole, and refill ink chamber all the way up, the seal the refill hole.

Air is needed to go into the ink chamber for the exchange of air and ink to be absorb by the sponge. Even by closing the refill hole with plug at point B as you mentioned #8 and thereafter point C removing of the clay, you are not allowing the exchanging of air and ink process to take place.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thank you, lin! First post is modified according to suggestions.