Cleaning Solution - Canon PGI-5 & CLI-8 Cartridge Flush

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Disclaimer: Sure I could just buy a pint of head solvent, but that wouldn't be nearly as much fun as a homebrew. :D

I've no idea on the quality of the Glycol in regular ol' car antifreeze, but something about it makes me nervous to run it through the fine nozzles of my printhead? Am I worried for no reason?

BTW, for those of us <cough> that aren't chemists, are there any reactant issues with mixing these items together and/or using them or combination in an injet printer?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Do not use antifreeze. From my scientific knowledge (as a pharmacist) propylene glycol is the nearest and the safest equivalent to commercial glycol in antfreeze (which is actually ethylene glycol, poisonous because the human body metabolizes it into the dangerous oxalic acid, which precipates and captures the essential calcium ions in your blood, blocking nerve ends and giving terrible tetanal cramps and ultimately death when swallowed !!!). Propylene glycol is added in a lot of syrups and potable solutions to prevent drying out as do glycerin. However: glycerin is less ideal, because the increased viscosity won't let you allow to increase the amount. Propylene glycol has almost the same physical (however higher viscosity, but still acceptable) and chemical characteristics like the poisonous ethylene glycol (or "Glycol" as such in antifreeze).

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
Those who have access to Wal Mart should be able to find drain anti freeze with propylene glycol in their stores-at least here in the Colonies.

johnwarfin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Why not say "don't use anti-freeze in your car". There are so many agents far more poisions it is not risky by comparison. With an LD50 in the order of 1g/kg you'd have to drink a gallon or so of cleaning fluid to get in trouble. When I said "touch" I meant maybe 1%. 50:50 would not make good cleaing fluid. For the same reason using glycerin would have no significant effect on viscosity.

However those who don't mind spending an hour or two finding a source and waiting a week or so for delivery then "better safe than sorry". :)

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Is the question about antifreeze due to toxicity or due to how it will effect the cartridge / nozzles / printer? I'm not at all worried about toxicity as there are way more deadly things in the reach of my children than this. ;)

I'm mostly worried about how it would effect my printhead, etc.

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Dont forget that the old Green antifreeze and newer extended life antifreeze are both over 80% identical.
Both are mostly Ethylene Glycol and Diethylene Glycol but the last 10% to 15% is the anti corrosion chemicals (corrosion inhibitor package).

I have no idea if these extra proprietary chemicals would hurt a print head.

johnwarfin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
nifty-stuff.com said:
I'm mostly worried about how it would effect my printhead, etc.
I'm not sure about Canon but have been using anti-freeze with over a dozen Epsons for almost 3 years now and no problems. It worked much better than plain water. 70% isopropyl was worst of all.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Here is my cartridge flush/conditioning solution recipe again:

-3 % propylene glycol (or 2 % glycerin)
-20 % isopropyl alcohol
-distilled water up to 100 %

To make this conditioning solution a cleaning solution to dissolve stubborn stains: add 5 drops of concentrated ammonia per 100 ml of this solution. This solution has been tested by several forum members already and they are very happy with it. It also enhances the absorption degree of ink into the sponge after flushing, especially with the difficult pigment based BCI-3eBK/PGI-5Bk cartridge.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Now that's what I'd expect from a pharmacist ;)

thumbsup.gif

johnwarfin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
pharmacist said:
Here is my cartridge flush/conditioning solution recipe again:

-3 % propylene glycol (or 2 % glycerin)
-20 % isopropyl alcohol
-distilled water up to 100 %

To make this conditioning solution a cleaning solution to dissolve stubborn stains: add 5 drops of concentrated ammonia per 100 ml of this solution. This solution has been tested by several forum members already and they are very happy with it. It also enhances the absorption degree of ink into the sponge after flushing, especially with the difficult pigment based BCI-3eBK/PGI-5Bk cartridge.
Yes, that is my idea of a superior cleaning solution. And about 1/10th the cost of commercial product. Can I ask what is the difference between conditioning and cleaning?