Chrome Ink

telv

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Does anyone know if I can get in the UK compatible Canon gloss optimiser. Many thanks

telv

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Many thanks to The Hat for that information.

I don't possess any of the high end printers that gloss optimiser is designed to be used in but I had heard it could be used as a pre-coat to be overprinted or as a top finish for existing prints. I tried both methods with the Epson optimiser. I can't say either made much difference!

I will try again with the Canon optimiser. I see that it is pigment based for use with pigment based printers but will experiment with both dye and pigment printing.

In the meantime any experience anyone has will be very much appreciated

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
In the meantime any experience anyone has will be very much appreciated
Funny you should say that.

Because I use it all the time with my Pro 9500, I print the photos on one machine and then next day coat them all over with Glop on my other 9500, it makes a very big difference, it removes all of the bronzing and almost all of the gloss differential, so yes I’m very happy with the results.

It can be done just as easy on one machine, by using two print heads and a separate set off cartridges..

telv

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you, The Hat.

It's interesting you are getting such good results. I'll look forward to doing some experimenting.

Have you tried it the other way around and if so does it make any difference? In their specification for the iX7000, Canon say that the whole sheet is coated with GO and printed over with the pigment inks which then react with the coating. They say that this "produces a professional document output with anti-paper curling, anti-bleeding and higher sharpness

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Thank you, The Hat.

It's interesting you are getting such good results. I'll look forward to doing some experimenting.

Have you tried it the other way around and if so does it make any difference? In their specification for the iX7000, Canon say that the whole sheet is coated with GO and printed over with the pigment inks which then react with the coating. They say that this "produces a professional document output with anti-paper curling, anti-bleeding and higher sharpness

The IX7000 and MX7600 use a different liquid (they call it Clear) to impregnate office paper (from the cassette) and enhance the smoothness and sharpness of the prints.
In my experience using high quality paper (as Double A) in the rear tray has nearly the same result.
IMO it is by no means a solution for photo printing.
Since these printers have only 5 pigment ink cartridges (same as PRO9500) the gamut reached is much less than with 10 carts.

These printers were the first trial of Canon in the office pigment printing and did not have much success, but were quite good and reliable.
I used a MX7600 All-in-one for color office prints for 20.000 pages and recently started with a second one.
The IX7000 is the most monstruous A3 printer I ever saw, I gave it away to a guy who refills it with the inks of the PRO 9500 to print coloring pictures for the kids.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3

Yes I have tried it with Glop first and then the ink, but its much better the other way round, Don’t use the iX7000 Glop in your cartridges, it will kill your print head, I got the TeeShirt..

The iX7000 is only good for general office work and text documents and it does do Photos, just about, it also doesn’t use Glop on photos..