Canon Pro 100: Setup vs Non-setup catridges

Methodical

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
USA
I've seen references here about setup cartridges and I've noticed that is what I have (came with printers), which peaked my interest. So, my question is what is the difference between a setup cartridge and (unknown to me) a non-setup cartridge?

Thanks...Al

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
It’s funny that you should ask that question because it has not been looked into properly yet and so can’t be answered for sure.

The set-up cartridge and the newly purchased OEM cartridge have exactly the same amount of ink in them, so the only difference between the two are the label on top of the cartridge and the chip itself.

I reckon the chip is a special setup chip that causes a DRM in the Canon Image Garden App to block access to this exclusive photo software.

I don’t have the Pro 100 printer to test this theory out so if you do a reset on this setup chip the EPROM on board the printer then detect this and won’t allow the use of that Canon App till you replaced the cartridge with a newly purchased one.

Until someone tests this out we are in the dark and confusion will still remain, so the real question is will the new cartridge chip respond the same when reset as the setup chip does ?

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
I've seen references here about setup cartridges and I've noticed that is what I have (came with printers), which peaked my interest. So, my question is what is the difference between a setup cartridge and (unknown to me) a non-setup cartridge?

Thanks...Al

my Pro-100 came with a set of 8 FULL cartridges, but with a small printed "SETUP" in back print on white background on top of the label on the carts.

The Setup cartridges so far appear to function exactly the same as regular OEM cartridges.

In Sept I purchased a OEM Yellow cartridge when I ran into the "Mello Yellow" problem, and Jan 30th an OEM black cartridge.

Neither OEM carts had the "Setup" word printed on the label, and to all intents and purposes function exactly the same as the "Setup" carts.

However, over time things sometimes change, so we will see...

Roy S.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
According to tintenalarm.de the use of special setup cartridges is mandatory for newer Canon printers. See this post for a link and translations: http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/the-all-new-canon-551-carts.7568/#post-58107

Hi Peter,

Not sure these translations mean in English. From your comments it appears the original German is equally obscure.

Reaffirms my belief that computer hardware and software vendors are unable to communicate EFFECTIVELY in any language known to man.

If, as suggested, the intent of the setup carts is to stifle the trade in cannibalized components with the separation of printer from head and from setup carts and then sell them all separately on eBay, then we can rate it an epic fail. At least judging by the number of cannibalized components advertised on eBay.

RS