Canon Pro 100 And Wireless

Methodical

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
USA
I have the Pro 100 connected, via wireless. The printer is no more than about 8' from the router (opposite side of room). I've noticed that if the printer sits idle for an hour or more (could be shorter, but this is the time frame I've noticed), when I go to print, I see the "spooling" message in the print preview, but it never shows the photo to be printed (i.e it never readies the photo for print). I have to shut the printer off and then restart it to begin printing, even though there's no error message. Can anyone explain was happening? Is there something in the settings that needs to be altered? In contrast, I have an Epson 610 printer 2 levels upstairs (connected via wireless) and never experienced this issue.

Thanks...Al

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
I have the Pro 100 connected, via wireless. The printer is no more than about 8' from the router (opposite side of room). I've noticed that if the printer sits idle for an hour or more (could be shorter, but this is the time frame I've noticed), when I go to print, I see the "spooling" message in the print preview, but it never shows the photo to be printed (i.e it never readies the photo for print). I have to shut the printer off and then restart it to begin printing, even though there's no error message. Can anyone explain was happening? Is there something in the settings that needs to be altered? In contrast, I have an Epson 610 printer 2 levels upstairs (connected via wireless) and never experienced this issue.

Thanks...Al

Interesting!

I have exactly the same problem with my pro-100, and the router is 6 feet from the printer.

By contrast my wife uses a Canon MX870 in another room over 20 feet away and it responds instantly and every time to the print command from the same router.

In both cases I am running the canon XPS driver.

Have tried deleting and re-installing the Pro-100 driver several times following install directions very carefully, all to no avail.

Fortunately the Pro-100 is an arms length away so I can just reach over and flip the ON/OFF switch.

Still in the 21st Century I did expect better from Canon.

A solution would be welcome. Any suggestions.

Roy Sletcher

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
You guys may want to check and see if the Auto power settings are not disabled in Canon Pro 100 Properties / Maintenance / Auto Power On /Enabled.. :oops:

Methodical

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
USA
Ahh, that makes sense. I've seen those buttons, but thought it was so that I could turn on and off from the computer. I will check and report my findings.

Thanks...Al

Methodical

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
USA
Update: The Hat you were absolutely correct. Changed settings as follows: Auto Power On (Enable), Auto Power off (Disable). I let the printer sit idle for a couple hours and when I went to print, she sprung into action.

Roy, check your settings as outlined by "The Hat"

Thanks Hat...Al

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Update: The Hat you were absolutely correct. Changed settings as follows: Auto Power On (Enable), Auto Power off (Disable). I let the printer sit idle for a couple hours and when I went to print, she sprung into action.

Roy, check your settings as outlined by "The Hat"

Thanks Hat...Al

Thanks guys, just saw the messages and have made the change. Will test the result tomorrow.

Of course thanks to The Hat. Or should I say, "You can't get ahead without The Hat."

Roy S.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
That's interesting... When I installed my Pro-100 wirelessly, there was a driver warning that told me I couldn't shouldn't use the Auto-power function but perhaps that was an update they applied to a later firmware...

Edit: Now suspect it was something that popped up when I was installing the driver as part of the driver wizard.

I'll have a peek tomorrow to see if that's more a "Don't do it" recommendation or a build-in limitation for my firmware.

Last edited:

Methodical

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
USA
That's interesting... When I installed my Pro-100 wirelessly, there was a driver warning that told me I couldn't use the Auto-power function but perhaps that was an update they applied to a later firmware...

I'll have a peek tomorrow to see if that's more a "Don't do it" recommendation or a build-in limitation for my firmware.

I don't recall seeing that message during the install.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I don't recall seeing that message during the install.
From what I understand from the various topics on the Pro-100 the North American and EU models differ in terms of firmware so that might explain why...

Edit: More likely a driver prompt so it could still be shown in the drivers for any country.. Doubtless someone else might remember

Yet another mystery to ponder though...

Last edited: