Canon Pro 1 woes help please.........

parma

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 1
hello guys,
Like many peeps on here I also have a Pro 1 which has been unused after making a few hundred prints 3 years ago. I left it with the original inks and print head and now looking to get back into photography printing I turned her on to find the following issues....

1/ attempted to do nozzle clean after installing two original inks CO and DGY. The printer completed its priming cycle however I was unable to complete a nozzle check as received a message to replace DGY ink.

2/ on investigation the DGY ink leaked into the left hand side of the printer carriage. I was unable to locate any leaking anywhere. so decided to install a second ink cartridge. The printer continued to prime itself, however before a nozzle check could be started the second ink spill was in the printers home position. I received a replace DGY ink cartridge with yellow light flashing.

3/ Any thoughts feedback would be appreciated.............or is she going to printer heaven just printing 300 photos and lying under my bed for 3 years !!

thanks guys
parma

parma

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 1
Try holding in the resume button for 5 seconds, and then see if it will print a nozzle check.. post your ink levels status up here !..
Hi No luck with holding the yellow button at all., however it now indicates that Cyan ink needs replacing as well. Don't know how this thing works at times !

Attachments

• Screenshot (136).png
    Screenshot (136).png
    796 KB · Views: 49

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Don't know how this thing works at times !
As you are getting erroneous ink errors, I have to assume something else is a foot here and you’ve been caught in a loop.

Your going to need more ink carts if you are to successfully get the printer working again, LGY, DGY, PC, RED and Cyan, all are in a state that won’t support any printing or priming..

Firstly remove all carts from both sides and weight them, when empty they are 44 gm and when full they are 84 gm, now without the other carts that are near or empty the printer will not allow you to continue.. (Check the ink inlets for any damage)

If you power off the printer it will run a cleaning cycle each time you power back on, so don’t turn her off until you can resolve this issue.

When you have all the carts reinstalled with at least 30% ink left in them, then you can run a proper deep cleaning cycle, followed by a nozzle check, this is the only way you will know if your print head is damaged or not and before you can print anymore photos..

If you decide the cost of new carts is beyond you then find a large dumpster and deposit the printer in it, this Pro 1 has very expensive tastes and won’t settle for anything less, she is a very demanding mistress.. Sorry..

pro 1 inks.JPG

parma

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 1
As you are getting erroneous ink errors, I have to assume something else is a foot here and you’ve been caught in a loop.

Your going to need more ink carts if you are to successfully get the printer working again, LGY, DGY, PC, RED and Cyan, all are in a state that won’t support any printing or priming..

Firstly remove all carts from both sides and weight them, when empty they are 44 gm and when full they are 84 gm, now without the other carts that are near or empty the printer will not allow you to continue.. (Check the ink inlets for any damage)

If you power off the printer it will run a cleaning cycle each time you power back on, so don’t turn her off until you can resolve this issue.

When you have all the carts reinstalled with at least 30% ink left in them, then you can run a proper deep cleaning cycle, followed by a nozzle check, this is the only way you will know if your print head is damaged or not and before you can print anymore photos..

If you decide the cost of new carts is beyond you then find a large dumpster and deposit the printer in it, this Pro 1 has very expensive tastes and won’t settle for anything less, she is a very demanding mistress.. Sorry..

parma

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 1
Hi
@Hat thanks for replying about this issue what are your thoughts on why 2 DGY (full) carts emptied into the printer when I tried to complete a nozzle check previously?
Depending on your thoughts on the above I can decide how to proceed as I do have genuine OG inks available except (DGY) however what are your views on using comparable inks to save on the original ink carts ?
Thanks for your help I really want to get this printer working to maximise the quality prints she provides

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
(Check the ink inlets for any damage)
You would need to check if the tubing on the back of the DGY has been disconnected or damaged, there is obvious some sort of leak there, I have included a PDF on how to remove the two sides only to gain access to the ink carts for easy removal and inspection..

This printer will print as good as any other printer on the market today including the Pro 1000 but can be wasteful with your inks, you can use compatible inks in this printer however you won’t get near as good a quality from them, useless you know how.

If you do decide to use compatibles, please remember that there is 15 ml of OEM ink (Per colour) still in the tubing and that will take time to be used up, so colour change won’t be noticeable for quite some time, I used compatible inks in mine foe years.

Word of caution:- Do not try to trick this printer in any way or it will lock you out of all manual functions, in short the printer becomes a brick.. All inputs are recorded in the live AI memory.. it’s not an ordinary Canon printer..

Two questions:- what is (genuine OG inks available) and (2) is your nozzle check blank on the bottom, below the colour blocks, (Void of any printed information)

Attachments

• Pro1_Service 1-62_Manual.pdf
    276 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

parma

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 1
Hi Guys
@The Hat thanks for your detailed information this morning. I've followed your steps and can report the following
No leaks from the tubes or connectors regarding the spill of ink which appears to be leaking in the carriage area.
However cyan magenta black ink depositi at the home position of the printer was evident.
I decided to investigate further by removing the printhead and discovered numerous pin hole leaks on the printed head lids of 4 tanks which I'm assuming the print head is fried?
I read somewhere on the forum these leaks can be super glued as a temporary solution ??
Looks like I need to look for an Pro 10 as I have complete set of genuine canon inks. I'm assuming I'll be able to transfer the existing inks from my pro 1 to my new printer ?? If you could be kind enough provide any info how I can do this ??
Your thoughts on the above would be appreciated
Thanks
Parma

Attachments

• 20240211_142208.jpg
    20240211_142208.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 20240211_142028.jpg
    20240211_142028.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240211_144108.jpg
    20240211_144108.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240211_144145.jpg
    20240211_144145.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240211_142140.jpg
    20240211_142140.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 32

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Your thoughts on the above would be appreciated
Sorry to hear of the loss of your lovely printer, there were lots of other things you could have done, but head removal wasn’t one of them, now that’s done as you say you now need a Pro 10, go on line and see what’s available, but choose wisely..

Here is a post that shows how to refill a Pro 1 cart, you can follow the same procedure, but hold the cart vertical to extract the ink, push air in before you remove the ink..

https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...-cartridge-with-photos-part-2.8670/post-68882

parma

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 1
hi @The Hat thanks for the concise advice trying to get this printer back to life, however once the head is leaking ink as per above I 'm assuming its very much dead not able to seal the top anymore??
hopefully if there is still a chance of reviving please do advise what can be done. Thank You.

on another note.........

I've been offered a lightly used 2021 Canon Pro 10s with approximately 200/300 prints being printed however there are 4 cartridge's which are flashing red indicating replace ink for sometime (Magenta Cyan PCyan Chroma Optimizer)

1/ My question what can I do to check for any printhead blockages (or any other issues) without installing new carts as I don't really want to waste funds if there's an issue ?

2/ Is there a trick which will enable the printer to attempt to print a nozzle check even in black and white ?

3/ Also the seller says they have only been using her iPad to print photos I was under the impression you need to install all the drivers using a PC/Mac before you can use the WIFI functionality etc.

4/ I'm due to check the printer on Thursday hopefully someone can offer some pointers on the things I should check to ensure I don't indeed buy another brick as I already have one with my Pro 1!!

5/ The logical reason to purchase the Pro10S to reharvest my Pro 1 inks as I have quite a lot of paper and a complete set sealed Pro 1 inks hence the logic on buying the Pro 10 S. Is this a wise move or is it more trouble than its worth ?

Thanks for reading my ramble hopefully it makes sense!

Regards Parma