Canon Pixma Wide Format Printers at VERY low Prices!

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Adorama:

Canon Pixma Pro 9000 Mark II, $349.00 - $200 rebate card= $149.00. FREE SHIPPING!

http://www.adorama.com/ICAP9000M2.html

Canon Pixma Pro 9500 Mark II, $519.00 - $300 rebate card= $219.00 FREE SHIPPING

http://www.adorama.com/ICAP9500M2.html

Are these good?? I already have a i9900. I hate to begin using new carts. How easy to refill the carts these use??

Any opinions??

Wayne

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
It appears you need to buy a camera in order to get those additional rebates.

New in box Pro 9000 Mark II's go for ~$200 in my area on Craigslist. Probably fewer listing over their in Cowboy country.

Go Brown and Gold!

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
I you check the rebate link, t has TWO pages. The second page is for buying the printer ALONE (no camera). Prices are accurate....

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
On second thought, you are correct.

No wonder people keep dumping them on Craigslist for a quick profit.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
So, how easy are the carts these use are to refill? Are they chipped? Doe a resetter exist that works reliably?

Wayne

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
The CLI8 cartridges for the pro9000 are very easy to refill but you will need a chip resetter which costs under $20. The pro9000 uses dye inks so if you want a pigment ink printer then the pro9500 is the one,. I have no knowledge of the refill inks for the 9500 but I would imagine there's refill inks available. The chip resetters are very reliable & easy to use.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
rodbam:

I'm not aware there are chip resetters for the Pro9500 cartridges yet. There are auto-reset chips, but i don't know anything about them.

As you said, the Pro9000's CLI-8 chipped cartridges have resetters available.

tubguy:

CLI-8 cartridges, as found in the Pro9000, are one of the easiest cartridges to refill, and there are multiple methods for refilling with the Traditional top hole and Durchstich side hole methods as the most popular. Rising in popularity on the forum is ghwellsjr's Freedom Method via the ink exit port. Threads exist on the forum discussing complete instructions for each of these methods.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Thanx...with the i9900 I already have (and a spare new print head), and say a hundred BCI-6 OEM used, never refilled carts in inventory, I'm curious if it's worth the expenditure to get on the bandwagon for a "different" line of carts.

I have several i960's and an MP730, which all use the effectively the same carts, seems a BCI-3 and BCI-6 are interchangeable (Except the BCI-3E PGBK, which I have about 50 of, empty virgin OEM's). Doesn't quite make sense to me to switch to another printer yet. I don't think the output would change significantly enough to warrant it...but the prices are really attractive! Any comments about output would be appreciated. The i9900 seems to be a "tank", but the i960's tend to be troublesome, in my experience.

I refill via top fill and squeezy bottles, BTW. Hobbicolors and Precision Colors inks only.

Wayne

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
IMO, the overriding concern about your current printers is availability of parts, specifically print heads. IIRC, Canon no longer makes print heads for at least some of your printers. My MP830 print head is scheduled to be phased out of production in 2013, and parts in general beginning 2012, according to a sales rep 2 weeks ago. You could call Canon about print heads / parts for the Pro9xxx series, as well as your current printers, and use that to help guide your decision.

Then there is the dreaded waste ink pads filled error message that all good printers eventually succumb to if they live long enough. You might want to consider this in deciding what to do concerning your older printers - will you service the printer(s) yourself or rely on an authorized service center (costing big bucks)?

Are there additional expenses - ink - over and above what you spend now for a significant return on investment (output quality)?

Another thing to try is take an image or two on a USB memory stick, along with your fav photo paper, and go to a store with the Pro 9xxx series printers on display and have them make a printout or two for you. It might work better if you bring your camera with the image on board and use the printer's "Pictbridge", or, use the printer's USB 2.0 port and a notebook and USB cable if the store does not have the ability to access the printers otherwise. (Maybe call first and explain what you want to do to see if the store will accommodate you) Now you will have an example to
compare with the printouts of your current printers.

Otherwise, hang in there until the Nifty-Stuff cavalry arrives to clue you in to the quality of these printers.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
turbguy
I dont have a Pro 9000 myself but it will print far better that your i9000 does and
youll notice the difference and be very surprised by it.

The pro 9000 uses CLI-8 cartridges and they will also fit into your i9000 (interchangeable)
but unfortunately the BCI-6s wont work in the pro 9000.

If I were in the US I would get a half dozen of these good printers as the prices are so ridiculous low.
Refilling the CLI-8s are exactly the same as your BCI-6 cartridges with one exception youll have to get a resetter..:)